UNC women's basketball falls to Maine for third straight loss

Women's Basketball Kent State Janelle Bailey

Sophomore center Janelle Bailey (44) makes for a basket during Friday's game against Kent State on Nov. 9, 2018 at Carmichael Arena. UNC won 73-60.

The UNC women’s basketball team fell to the Maine Black Bears, 85-73, on Sunday at Carmichael Arena.   

The opening quarter was one defined by runs. Maine (5-2) stormed out of the gates, causing mayhem defensively and jumping out to a 7-0 lead, forcing an early time out from UNC head coach Sylvia Hatchell. 

After three minutes, senior guard Paris Kea removed the lid from the basket for the Tar Heels, sinking a three to end the North Carolina (5-4) drought. This bucket started a six point spurt for UNC, bringing the deficit down to one. The teams battled the entire quarter, but Maine held an advantage for the majority of the period. With 27 seconds remaining, two free throws from UNC’s Taylor Koenen brought the score to 18-18, the first tie since the opening tip. 

The second quarter saw an offensive explosion. A pretty pass from redshirt sophomore Jocelyn Jones to center Janelle Bailey gave UNC its first lead of the afternoon at 20-18. Now it was the Tar Heels turn to hold a slender lead, something they could not do very long. Blanca Millan took the lead back for Maine on a three with 6:31 remaining, sparking a 19-5 run for Maine on the way to a 44-32 lead at the break.

The Black Bears took firm hold of the game in the third quarter maintaining a double-digit lead nearly throughout. Field goal percentage, especially from three, was a major advantage for Maine in the game. At the end of the third quarter, UNC found itself trailing 62-45 as Maine shot twice as well from deep (52 percent to 21), and the Tar Heels trailed by 17 going into the 4th.

The Tar Heels continued to compete in the final frame, but the Maine lead was too large to surmount. The Black Bears poured in another three long balls in the quarter, making it 16 on the night as a team, a mark that tied a school record. A long Stephanie Watts three with five seconds remaining made the score a little better, Maine left the building a 12-point victor. 

Despite the loss, UNC got another strong performance from its center Janelle Bailey. The sophomore posted another double double, her fourth of the season. In the process, she paced the Tar Heels in both scoring and rebounding with 21 and 10, respectively.  

Blanca Millan starred in the game for the Black Bears. The junior guard from Spain poured in 21 points of her own, including three 3-pointers. She proved to be a thorn in North Carolina’s side on defense as well, swiping the ball seven times. 

This game was decided on the final play of the 3rd quarter. Down 15, on defense, and getting the ball to start the fourth, the Tar Heels needed a stop to generate some momentum. It appeared they had, as Millan missed a jumper with next to no time left on the clock. But UNC failed to secure the rebound and sophomore forward Maeve Carroll scooped up and laid in the loose ball, giving Maine a 17 point lead. 

This game was a chance for the Tar Heels to return to the winning ways they established at the start of the season. Now after racing out to a 5-1 start, North Carolina has dropped three straight games. 

The Tar Heels will be back in action on Wednesday as they take on the UNC Wilmington Seahawks in an afternoon match up at Carmichael Arena. 

@TommyFradenburg