Step aside, peasants: AirPods have arrived on UNC’s campus

airpods
Transfer student, Natalia Aquino, uses her AirPods on her walk to class, despite her preference for Beats Headphones.

AirPods have become prevalent in more places at UNC and beyond — on campus, in the gym and virtually every place people enjoy music. Apple's wireless headphones have captured a lot of attention, even online in memes. 

Despite the frequent jokes and $159 price tag, these wireless earbuds are selling at the fastest growing rate out of all the products Apple offers, according to a research note released by Ming-Chi Kuo of TF International Securities. 

Many might wonder what has caused these earbuds to go viral — or why Apple sold 14 to 16 million pairs of AirPods in 2018 when free wired headphones come with an iPhone purchase. 

Gary Kayye, a professor in the UNC School of Media and Journalism who teaches courses in new media and advertising, said he thinks Apple has created a calculated plan to market this product as both stylish and functional, which may explain the mass popularity. 

Kayye said the decision made to hire Angela Ahrendts, previous CEO of Burberry from 2006 to 2014, as the senior vice president of retail at Apple Inc. was done to impact the future of fashion through AirPods. He said Apple intentionally tried to capitalize on AirPods as a more fashionable look compared to wired headphones. 

“She has devised a plan to make these a status symbol, and she is doing a very good job,” Kayye said. “This is not an accident that these are becoming a status symbol.”

Apart from the style aspect, Apple has also focused on the functional side of the wireless earbuds with the AirPods staying in the ear during walks, workouts or bike rides and having a battery life of about five hours on one charge. 

Kyle Ryan, a sophomore who has used AirPods since 2017, said he thinks they are a great product because the earbuds can connect with all devices that have Bluetooth, do not fall out with movement and even have better sound than the Apple wire headphones.

Ryan said though he thinks AirPods are convenient and more efficient, they can also hinder human interaction when students wear them during class lectures and keep them in when talking to others. He said so many people are turning to AirPods because of the attention and status associated with the product. 

“Somehow overnight, AirPods came to symbolize money,” sophomore Meg Atkins said. “Back in middle school having an iPhone meant you were cool and had money. Now AirPods are like that. When you see someone using AirPods, your automatic first thought is that they have money to spare.”

Though no one can predict how this product may change in the next few years, rumors of Apple launching AirPods 2 in the upcoming months lead some to assume that wireless headphones are a new trend that will last. 

UNC students may notice a surge in these wireless earbuds on campus, with predictions that AirPods sales could increase to 50 to 55 million in 2019. 

Kayye predicts that AirPods will eventually come to fit into Apple’s two big initiatives — fashion and health. He predicts that the earbuds will eventually be available in different colors and that the next generation will become a fashionable health device.