Spectacular!

I have something wonderful to celebrate. Yesterday I was brought into this world. A bright, shiny new human. That’s right, I was born yesterday, just yesterday! Given the current political climate I’ve just learned about, I thought I should relay some of my newborn thoughts on all of the current events I’ve just learned about within the past 24 hours. 

1. Apparently racism is a thing? I may have only been born yesterday, but even I know that generalizing about all white people and claiming that they are racist defeats the purpose of racial activism. Calling white people out hurts their feelings, and we can’t have any of that. If we want peace, we need to spread peace and ignore all of the underlying issues behind our own ignorant bliss! 
  2. Why is there a war on men? Labeling all men negatively definitely has the same impact on them as, say, placing a label on women that has only served them negatively for years and continues to do so, right? If we want everyone to have equality, then we should just forgive and forget! Insulting men only adds to the problem! It doesn’t call out a patriarchal system at all! Men don’t have as high a place in society as women think, so they should really watch out when labeling all men as trash. We wouldn’t want to hurt their egos. From my research, it seems like they’ve already been through so much. 
  3. I’ve been reading up this whole mental health movement. Why are people trying to say that it’s not someone’s fault for how they treat others if they’re depressed? I don’t agree with this at all. During my first day on Earth I made a friend who immediately iced me out. She wasn’t able to connect with me at all because she “just needed time,” and then snapped at me when I responded with stubbornness and irritation. Shouldn’t people who struggle with mental illness be thoughtful enough to seek help? I mean, it is their brain, so it’s their fault, right? It’s just selfish of them to be rude to me, even though I couldn’t possibly fathom the kind of mental turmoil they’re going through. I wanted to go ice skating, and my friend said no! I matter, too! 
  4. I feel like this whole debate about Silent Sam is pointless. You can’t remove history! Just let him stay. Oh, wait, I forgot he was torn down. That’s just violent and wrong. It seems like tearing down a statue definitely equates to the hatred underlying UNC’s racist past. Again, I may have only been born yesterday and my knowledge may be limited, but I feel like I have authority on this. 

I’m so sad I missed 2018, with this having been my first day of life. However, I’m so ready for all that my white privilege has to offer me, and I will do my best to spread happiness and positivity. Going into 2019, remember, ALL lives matter!