All Up In Your Business for Jan. 10: Two businesses close their doors, another one opens

camerons-store-
Camerons, a local gift shop and gallery in Carrboro, is closing after almost 40 years. The store nears closing time on wednesday nov. 14, 2018.

Cameron's

Many people remember when Cameron's in Carrboro announced in November that it would be closing its doors after 42 years, and the official day has finally been announced. The gift store's last day in operation will be this Saturday, Jan. 12, according to a post on the business' Twitter.

Members of the community have expressed sadness about the closing, but they don't have to worry. Owners Wendy Smith and Bridget Pemberton-Smith are staying close.

After the store closes, Smith will begin working for Chapel Hill Magazine as its special projects manager, and Pemberton-Smith will continue working as an art therapist with the Art Therapy Institute.

Pemberton-Smith told The Daily Tar Heel in November that she is looking forward to spending more time with her friends and family after the closing, as well as seeing more of the community.

“Luckily we’re still in the area, so we hope to still run into all our old favorite customers, which is kind of all our customers,” she said.

Tama Cafe

After joining the Chapel Hill community a little over a year ago, Tama Cafe left Franklin Street sometime within the last month without a sound.

The cafe specialized in drinks and smoothies as well as vegan and vegetarian food. Along with its other location in Wilmington, Tama has another location in the Triangle in Raleigh, which also opened last year — so Town residents looking for their fix just have to go down the road.

Gizmo Brew Works

On a more positive note, a new business will come to Chapel Hill. Gizmo, a Raleigh brewery, is set to open a second location in downtown Chapel Hill in The Rathskeller's former space.

The company announced the decision on Twitter earlier this week, saying they hope to open sometime in the spring of 2019.

The space formerly occupied by The Rat has been empty for over 10 years. The taproom, which is now taking its place, began in Raleigh in 2013 and will have a larger space in Chapel Hill to work with. 

An exact opening date is unclear for the taproom as it has to undergo some construction, but Chapel Hill residents have something to look forward to when it takes over the historic space.

@ampogarcic

Anna Pogarcic

Anna Pogarcic is the editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying journalism and history major.