Here are the three new voices on Carrboro's Environmental Advisory Board

biking carrboro

UNC student George Ellington rides his bike down West Main Street in Carrboro.

The Carrboro Board of Aldermen appointed three new members to their Environmental Advisory Board Tuesday night. 

The EAB is made up of seven volunteers who aim to contribute to environmental policies and development plans. They use this environmental lens to analyze policy within the Carrboro government and focus on maintaining natural spaces.

In their applications, all three of the new members described their willingness to engage in the government process, whether that be through cooperating with others or doing research. 

“I think that I became interested in applying because I’m really passionate about local government and knowing and being a part of that movement," said Lyndsay Gavin, one of the new appointees. 

Gavin is currently an energy and environment analyst at the Triangle J Council of Governments. She has worked for an oil company in Texas, as well as the California EPA Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment.  

“I hope to bring a slightly different perspective than others that are on the Environmental Advisory Board," Gavin said. "I have a lot of professional experience in the environmental world. I’ve worked (in) corporate environmentalism as well as in local government and state government, so sort of bringing that perspective and melding those things together."   

The other two new members, Sonia Desai and Andrea Wood, do not currently work full-time in the environmental sector, but have a passion for both Carrboro and environmental issues.

Desai is a assistant preschool teacher who has lived in Orange County for 18 years and in Carrboro for eight. She has been involved with local efforts to document pollution and clean up litter, and has also advocated for policies at the state level. 

Andrea Wood is a stay-at-home mom who has lived in Carrboro for over a decade. According to her application for the EAB, she has worked with local farming and community gardening groups. She also has experience in grassroots organizing. 

Tim Turner, who serves as the chairperson of the EAB, said the town takes a holistic approach when appointing people to the EAB.   

“It’s very nice if a person has training or experience that bears upon what we do,” he said. 

Turner also said the Board of Aldermen was looking for people with different kinds of involvement in environmental policy. Some members have been involved in volunteering or have worked with other local organizations and are able to bring a different perspective to the EAB.

However, members must have more than a passion for the environment. 

“The main qualification, I would say, is a willingness to get in there, and learn how the town works and what these (regulations) are that they have to advise the town on,” he said.

@EmkenNick