Keep your New Year's fitness resolutions with Campus Recreation

SRC

Aaron Hamm, a sophomore chemistry major at the time, utilizes the bench press at the Student Recreation Center on Oct. 24, 2018. 

For the rest of the week, the temperature in Chapel Hill won't go above 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Oh, and we could be looking at another snow day Monday. 

It’s hard to keep your New Year’s resolution of staying fit when it’s 30 degrees and super windy outside, but Campus Recreation has you covered.

Go to the gym

The Student Recreation Center and Rams Head Recreation Center are open starting at 6 and 9 a.m., respectively. Both close at midnight (except on Fridays, they close at 9 and 11 p.m., respectively). 

No matter your class or work schedule, the gyms are open and ready for you. If you’re just getting back into the swing of things and don’t want to face "gymtimidation," they are particularly empty in the early morning and late night hours. If you want to show off being back in the gym, head in around lunch and dinner time and it’ll feel like you’re standing in the middle of the Pit. 

Pick-up in Woollen

When it’s particularly frigid outside, head to Woollen Gym for some sweaty, non-AC workout time. Almost every weekday night, you can grab some friends or go alone and join in on any of the six half-court basketball pick-up games. 

Exercise classes

Group fitness classes are the right mix of fun and challenging. Yoga, Zumba, Cycle, Barre, Absolution and honestly any other type of class you can think of happen almost every hour at every Campus Recreation location. Many classes are taught by fellow UNC students and unless you want to go to a Cycle class, you don’t need to sign up beforehand.  

Go to the pool

For the many months before the outdoor pool opens, Bowman Gray Memorial Pool is open daily, but has slightly odd hours so make sure you check them out before heading over. There’s also a group fitness class in the pool on Thursdays at 5:15 p.m.: Aqua Blast! 

IM leagues

Still haven’t won the famous Intramural Champion shirt? In January alone, there are five sports with scheduled matches, and there's still time to sign up for all of them. Throughout the spring semester, primarily in the first three months, you can play some unique sports like Wallyball, Sit Down Volleyball and Innertube Water Basketball. Classics like Basketball, Softball, Kickball and Flag Football are scheduled as well.

As amazing as all of these options are, when campus is closed due to inclement weather or holidays, you may need to resort to your living room to do some body weight exercises and yoga. Fitness apps and YouTube videos are an amazing resource and a great way to get your sweat on if snow is blocking your path to Rams or the SRC.