Are we about to have another snow day?

Snow fell in Chapel Hill on a Wednesday afternoon in 2014. North Carolina declared a state of emergency in response to winter weather across the state.

Temperatures will drop below freezing across central North Carolina on Tuesday evening and lower into the 20s overnight, according to a statement of the National Weather Service. 

The National Weather Service also released a Hazardous Weather Outlook on Tuesday afternoon for the area, which included Orange, Durham and Wake counties.

“Rain may briefly change over to a mixture of rain and snow through early evening, primarily near the Virginia border and over the northern Coastal Plain ... Any residual moisture on road surfaces will freeze, leading to the formation of patchy black ice overnight,” the NWS said.

“Right now, the Town is not doing anything as far as preparing roads,” said Ran Northam, community safety communications specialist for the Town of Chapel Hill. 

“But we’re preparing to respond with salt and sand trucks in those troubled spots that may freeze overnight and telling our community to be prepared for the morning travel as it may be hazardous.”

The Town will have staff out at once monitoring the areas that may become icy. It will then send out trucks to improve the conditions as fast as possible, Northam said.

Jackie Jenks, the executive director of the Inter-Faith Council for Social Service, said spots are available in their overflow cots for people in need of shelter. 

“During inclement weather, when there are harsh temperatures or snow, IFC opens our overflow cots,” she said. “We can take up to 17 additional men at Community House and three additional women at HomeStart.” 

IFC is a social service organization located 110 W. Main St. in Carrboro. Its Community House is a 24-hour residential facility for homeless men, and HomeStart is a 24-hour emergency shelter for women and families experiencing homelessness.

Jenks also said IFC's Community Kitchen operates daily as long as staff can walk to work. It is located at 100 W. Rosemary St. in Chapel Hill. 

Residents who rely on buses for their commute likely don't have to worry. Brian Litchfield, director of Chapel Hill Transit, said in an email that extreme cold does not typically result in impacts to CHT's services.

Litchfield said they will notify customers if detours or significant delays are expected due to weather conditions. He also encouraged locals to follow the website and social media of the Town and Chapel Hill Transit.

@CrystalYu_