Am I tidy? Does it matter if I am or am not? These questions have been circulating the narrow and anxiety-ridden hallways of my mind for the past few weeks, ever since my eyes fell upon the delightful Netflix series that is “Tidying Up with Marie Kondo.” It’s a lovely program, guaranteed to make you a shed a tear and perhaps a few of your most treasured items in the process. 

But it’s also been the source of a growing concern that’s been nagging me since I returned to Carolina and started my final semester. Is an organized life automatically a happier one?

After binging the series over winter break, I arrived at my house here in Chapel Hill with one goal in mind: purge my closet. I entered my room with feverish confidence, ready to tackle my Mount Everest (I like clothes, I really, really do.) With Marie Kondo’s simple philosophy in mind, I was ready to go item-by-item through my closet to determine which possessions of mine really “sparked joy.” I told myself there was no room in my life this semester, my final semester, for anything that wasn’t 100% joyful. In the immortal words of Ariana Grande, there are “no tears left to cry.” 

Two minutes later, I was curled up in a ball on the floor. Mist puddled in my eyes. Putting it mildly, I was overwhelmed. My noble quest to transform my life into an organized one had sparked the exact opposite of joy. 

It wasn’t necessarily the sheer immensity of how many items I owned that brought me to the floor. It was the fact that embedded within each item was a world of memories, stories and feelings. Within one moment of opening my closet door, I was inundated with four year’s worth of smiles, heartache, laughs and tears. My clothes — some folded, some hanging, far too many messily piled on the floor — told the story of the life I’ve built since moving to Chapel Hill. 

The Carolina blue button-down I wore on my first FDOC ever. The blue-and-black patterned shirt I wore on the best first date I’ve ever had. The black turtleneck I wore the night I learned you cannot force people to be something they’re not. 

It was impossible to separate these material items from their accompanied emotional realities. I didn’t want to let go of those precious moments, the joys and lessons of times not that long ago. Letting them go meant confronting the painful realization that in a few short months this will all be the past. The people and places comprising my daily life will fade until they’re vestiges of a previous time. Memory will play its curious games, and eventually what once felt so permanently familiar will become inevitably unfamiliar. 

Riddled in this existential dread, I recalled one of Marie Kondo’s most impressionable clients. She was a grieving widow, her husband having only passed a short nine months ago. And yet, she miraculously discarded nearly every single part of her deceased husband’s wardrobe. All that was left of him were his cowboy boots, a single flannel shirt and one jacket. 

Remembering her story struck me with pangs of guilt. Why couldn’t I be more like her? Why do I have to be so darn sentimental?  I haven’t suffered an unimaginable tragedy. I’m not grieving the loss of a loved one. I’m a second-semester senior; there’s no time or room for grief! I’m supposed to be having the time of my life. "No Tears Left to Cry!" “Spark joy,” remember?

But perhaps I’m wrong. Maybe senior year is far more about confronting grief than sparking joy. Maybe letting go does not require abandoning sentimentality. Maybe the most sentimental thing we can do is let go. 

Writing this now I’m propped up in bed, staring directly at my closet. Inside lies the same untidy mess from before. Nothing discarded. In my Google Calendar is an upcoming appointment to “purge my closet.” It’s positioned between an Orangetheory workout and a thesis meeting. 

Make of that what you will.