Former Tar Heels Love, Broadway and Miller selected for N.C. Sports Hall of Fame

Davis Love III file
Davis Love III in 1983. DTH File Photo.

Three former Tar Heels — the ACC’s 1971 leader in total offense; the 1997 PGA Championship winner; and the only coach to win national championships at three different historically Black universities — are headed to the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame in May.

The organization announced its 2019 class on Tuesday. Among the 12 inductees were three former UNC athletes: golfer Davis Love III, defensive lineman Rod Broadway and quarterback Paul Miller.

Love played at UNC from 1982 to 1985, scoring All-ACC and All-America honors as a sophomore, junior and senior. The Charlotte native helped lead North Carolina to back-to-back ACC titles in 1983 and 1984 and was also the 1984 ACC individual champion.

He’s since had a long and successful professional golf career. Love, 54, is the only golfer to win a PGA Tour event in each of the last four decades. With the 1997 PGA Championship, 2016 Ryder Cup and 21 total PGA Tours win under his belt, he was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 2017. The Rams Club also named a men’s golf scholarship in his honor last January.

Broadway, a native of Oakboro, N.C., played defensive line for UNC from 1974 to 1977. He was an All-ACC selection in 1977, the year UNC went 8-3-1 under head coach Bill Dooley and finished with an ACC regular season title. Broadway’s legacy, though, was defined more by his coaching.

Over a 39-year career, he became the first coach to win national titles at three different HBCUs. Broadway, 63, began coaching at East Carolina and had a brief stint with his alma mater as a defensive line coach in 2001. In 2002, he got his first head coaching job at N.C. Central and promptly led the Eagles to national championships in 2005 and 2006. 

Rod Broadway in 1975. DTH File Photo

He then moved on to Grambling State, won a National Championship in 2008 and was hired by N.C. A&T in 2011. There, Broadway led the Aggies to 2015 and 2017 National Championships. He retired in 2018 with a career record of 125-45.

Miller, who played at UNC from 1969 to 1971, helped lead Dooley’s Tar Heels to the 1971 ACC title and a 9-3 record. That year, he also led the ACC in total offense with 1,302 yards (1,041 passing, 261 rushing) and scored 15 total touchdowns. An all-ACC academic honoree while at North Carolina, he later earned his law degree from the University.