Daniel McArthur sets program record for UNC track and field in Gamecock Inaugural

Daniel McArthur Raleigh Relays
Sophomore Daniel McArthur throws the shot put at the Raleigh Relays on March 30.

The North Carolina track and field teams competed at the Gamecock Inaugural this past weekend in Columbia, S.C. Junior Daniel McArthur led the way by breaking a program record in the shot put.

On Friday in the women’s high jump, North Carolina’s Mary Nebrich, a first-year, tied for fourth with a jump of 4-feet, 11.75 inches. In the men’s open pole vault, senior Drew Pedersen earned first place with a 15-foot-5-inch vault. 

In the men’s 60-meter dash, redshirt junior Joey Souza placed 41st with a time of 7.22 seconds. In the men’s 400-meter dash, Joshua Mukoro, a sophomore, finished ninth with a time of 50.30 seconds. In the women’s 300-meter dash, senior Kristin Hall placed sixth with 41.65 seconds. Sophomore Ryan Saint-Germain finished third in the men’s 300-meter dash with 33.68 seconds

In the men’s 200-meter dash, Mukoro finished 20th with a time of 22.57 seconds. In the women’s 200-meter dash, Hall finished ninth with 25.82 seconds. In the women’s 60-meter dash, sophomore Anna Keefer, who qualified for the event on Friday, finished third with a time of 7.55 seconds. In the men’s 200-meter dash invite, sophomore Dontavian Smith placed sixth with 21.61 seconds. 

In the women’s pole vault invite senior Anna Eaton won with a vault of 13-feet, 7.25 inches. Emerson Porter, a sophomore, placed fourth with a vault of 11-feet, 7.75 inches. Alex Cooke, a graduate student, finished first in the women’s 20-pound weight throw invite with a throw of 63-feet, 9.5 inches. Sophomore Jill Shippee finished second in the event. 

In the men’s shot-put invite McArthur finished second with a 64-feet, 10.5-inch throw. In the men’s pole vault invite Liam Dixon, a sophomore, finished third in the event. In the men’s high jump invite, redshirt junior Draven Crist finished first with a 6-foot, 11.75-inch jump.

North Carolina established its presence early on Friday as Nebrich tied for fourth in the women’s high jump, the seventh event of the Gamecock Inaugural. In the 10th event, Pedersen won the men’s pole vault. 

By Saturday, North Carolina was running on all cylinders as the team was able to place top 10 in eight of its nine events, including wins in the women’s pole vault, women’s 20-pound weight throw and men’s high jump invite. 

After the men won and then women placed second last week this meet added to an already impressive start to the young season. Head coach Harlis Meaders was happy with his team's performance. 

“We had a number of people win individual events," he said. "We had a number of kids with seasonal best performances, so it was probably one of the best meets we’ve had especially for this early in the season.”

McArthur’s showing on Saturday placed him fifth on the all-time list in the the North Carolina record book. Crist now has back-to-back first-place finishes in the men’s high jump. 

North Carolina competes in the Tiger Paw Invitational on Friday and Saturday.

@Areynolds_DTH