Bonus points crucial in No. 17 UNC wrestling's win over No. 25 Virginia

Wrestling  Gary Wayne Harding
Gary Wayne Harding (UNC) won a major decision over Louie Hayes (UVA) during the home dual in Carmichael Arena on Saturday, January 26, 2019, helping UNC to a 22-12 victory.

Not many sports give teams a chance to win bonus points based on how they performed, but in wrestling, extra points are crucial in order to win meets. The No. 17 North Carolina wrestling team used that to its full advantage, piling up the bonus points in a 22-13 win against No. 25 Virginia on Saturday night in Carmichael Arena.

When a wrestler wins by a normal decision, three points are added to the team score, but winning by what is called a major decision, meaning a margin of more than eight points, adds four points to the team’s score. Head coach Coleman Scott stressed the importance of earning that bonus point following the victory. 

“Before we went out, I said, ‘We are the ones that score bonus points. We don’t give it up, we score it,’” Scott said. 

The Tar Heels (8-5, 1-0 ACC) took Scott's words to heart, winning four bouts by major decision. Those bonus points were crucial in ending the match early, when a Virginia (11-7, 0-1 ACC) comeback became impossible.

An early victory meant that the lighter Tar Heels were getting the job done to open the match. After first-year Joe Heilmann lost via major decision to Virginia’s No. 5 Jack Mueller in the 125-pound bout, UNC rattled off three straight major decision victories of its own, the first of which coming from redshirt senior Gary Wayne Harding in the 133-pound bout. 

“Following a tough loss at 125, it helps to get the ball rolling again,” Harding said. "Jaime followed it up, then Austin and it gets everybody back on track.” 

As Harding said, redshirt first-years Jaime Hernandez and No. 4 Austin O’Connor followed his performance with major decision wins in the 141- and 149-pound bouts, respectively. Hernandez was also one point away from adding yet another point to the team score and winning via technical fall, which is when a wrestler wins his bout by more than 14 points. 

“They always tell me to go out there and let it rip,” Hernandez said. “My main focus is scoring as many points as I can throughout the whole match, and I started off kind of late, but once I start going it is hard to stop me.” 

Following O’Connor's major decision victory, the Tar Heels led by a score of 12-4 after four bouts. With a sizable lead now in hand, UNC was able to cruise to victory against the Cavaliers, never looking back after that string of bonus point victories. 

Toward the end of the match, Scott decided to use Brandon Whitman, letting him loose in the 197-pound bout. Though he was the No. 9 ranked recruit in his weight class and the No. 35 recruit overall, Whitman lost a close bout to No. 8 Jay Aiello of Virginia. Still, his coach was impressed with his performance. 

“I was proud of his fight,” Scott said. “When we have a true freshman that is at that level, I’m happy. We are going to make adjustments, and he is going to be good.” 

Scott’s decision to use Whitman could provide stability at a spot in the lineup that has been a revolving door throughout the season. Before Saturday, there were three UNC wrestlers listed as options for that spot, but Whitman could be the Tar Heels’ guy at 197-pounds moving forward. 

Whitman's contributions could be a huge boost for the team moving forward. The bonus points led the Tar Heels to another victory against a ranked opponent. 

Perhaps, bonus points will be crucial for UNC moving forward, too.

@matt_chilson