UNC women's tennis earns two decisive wins in season-opening double header

womens tennis
UNC sophomore Alle Sanford prepares to serve during the 15th Annual Kitty Harrison Invitational Competition against her opponent, Holly Hutchinson of ODU on Sunday, Nov. 4, 2018.

The No. 3 North Carolina women’s tennis team (2-0) had a strong start to their 2019 campaign, sweeping their season-opening doubleheader on Saturday to earn two convincing wins at home. The Tar Heels defeated Elon by a score of 6-1 and defeated UNC Charlotte in a 4-0 shutout.

In the Tar Heels' first match against Elon, all of their singles victories were decided in straight sets. Makenna Jones, Cameron Morra, Alle Sanford,  Jessie Aney, and Chloe Ouellet-Pizer all won their matches decisively; Sophia Patel suffered the only singles loss, a 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 nailbiter. The Tar Heels won two of three doubles matches by scores of 6-0 and 6-2 to clinch the doubles point, with the third match going unfinished.

The team continued its momentum into the second match. The Tar Heels shut out the 49ers of UNC Charlotte in their singles matches, 3-0. Three more singles matched were left unfinished. One doubles match would also go unfinished, as UNC won two of three doubles matches to finish undefeated for the day in doubles.

Jones impressed against Elon; she failed to drop a point and quickly wrapped up a singles victory in straight sets. She also did not cede a point in her doubles match, earning a decisive win with partner Cameron Morra, a first-year. The duo is coming off a 2018 season in which they were ranked as high as No. 2 in the nation. 

Along with Morra, sophomore Alle Sanford and senior Jessie Aney were the only Tar Heels to play in singles and doubles matches against both opponents. They each made the most out of their opportunity, winning both of their singles matches. They also took both of their doubles matches as partners. 

In their match against Elon, the Lady Tar Heels got out to a quick 2-0 start after Sanford’s victory. They never looked back, taking five of the six games. 

UNC finished off the day with a dominant win over Charlotte sealed by junior Alexa Graham’s straight-set victory, 6-2, 6-2.

The Tar Heels are coming off a great 2018 season in which they finished ranked No. 3 in the country. The team comes into this season with high expectations that will only be heightened after Saturday’s win.

They are returning seven players from last year’s team with four of them ranked among the top-25 in the Oracle/ITA singles rankings. That list is led by Jones at No. 2 along with junior Sara Daavettila at No. 4, Graham at No. 18 and Morra at No. 21. 

UNC will travel to Las Vegas next weekend to compete in the Freeman Memorial Championship.

@ryanheller23