It's a bird! It's a plane! It's an experimental film at Morehead Planetarium!

AO by Lucy Raven

Pictured is a shot of Morehead Planetarium during the screening of one of the films in the Hanes Visiting Artist Lecture Series presentation called "AO" by Lucy Raven.

Photo courtesy of Sabine Gruffat

Instead of stars and science at Morehead Planetarium on Feb. 28, patrons will have the opportunity to see two films that question images and our ability to comprehend them.

This event is the result of a joint project between the Hanes Visiting Artist Lecture Series, which brings both established and emerging artists to campus to discuss their work, and Cosmic Rays, an experimental film festival. The lectures are free and open to the public.

The films were curated by Aily Nash, whose work includes selecting filmmakers for the New York Film Festival and being a program adviser to the International Film Festival Rotterdam.

“I was interested in artists who would open up questions around, ‘What does it mean to look into space?’” Nash said. “What even are the mechanisms that help us look into space?” 

The 2018-2019 Hanes Lecture Series focuses on political geographies, with an emphasis on examining the spatial distribution and control of political  processes and how geographic location and identity impact these processes and spaces.

The films will be shown on the ceiling of the Morehead Planetarium, giving the attendees the experience of looking up to watch the art.

“This is a great opportunity for students that are interested in filmmaking since Aily is a very important figure in the world of independent filmmaking,” said Bill Brown, co-director of Cosmic Rays. 

After the two films, there will be an opportunity for viewers to ask Nash any questions about her work.

“You see artists and curators, you see their work out in the world, but you never know what they’re really thinking,” said Sabine Gruffat, chairperson of the Hanes Visiting Artist Lecture Committee and co-director of Cosmic Rays. “It’s always different to hear someone in person talking about their work ... I guess I find it interesting, because it gives you a sense of what these people are like inside.”

Gruffat teaches animation and video art and said that talking to Nash lets students see what curators are looking for in the world outside the University.

“It is very helpful for our students, undergraduate and graduate. It’s also an area where, if you major in art, you might work as an artist professionally, which might involve curating,” Gruffat said. “It makes sense to bring in someone like Aily, who is frankly one of the top curators for moving image art in the country at this point.”

A planetarium is a rare place for art, but Gruffat embraces that aspect as a reason to come to the event.

“We try to bring in diverse types of art and open people’s mind about different types of art out there and what art can be,” Gruffat said. 

@aaronjsugarman