All up in your business: Here's what's replacing Sugarland and Smoothie King

auiyb hemp
This week's all up in your business featured the Sugarland, Ms. Mong, and the Hemp Store. Franklin St. bakery Sugarland is being packed up and restaurant Ms. Mong is potentially closing. The brand new Hemp Store is owned by Tanya Durand and is open for business!

Ms. Mong

Rumors of businesses opening and closing in Chapel Hill have created a buzz on Franklin Street and amongst students.

Rumors recently surfaced that Ms. Mong, a restaurant on Franklin Street, will be closing definitively. Isaac Park, the restaurant's owner, said it will not be closing as of yet and did not respond to repeated requests for further information.

Sugarland

Sugarland, another staple store on Franklin Street that served gelato and baked goods to the Chapel Hill community, announced their closing in the fall, leaving many of their customers devastated — and without wedding cakes. Recent activity in the shop has left many wondering what project will occupy the space next.

Cindy and Dave Somasunderam are proud to announce the Blue Spoon Microcreamery is planning to open on April 1 in the recently vacated space. Cindy said she has been making ice cream for 45 years, and it is something for she has always had a passion. She has turned this passion into a livelihood through the ice cream shops she has owned with her husband throughout the country.

The Blue Spoon's ice cream will be made in-house with liquid nitrogen.

“Making the ice cream with the liquid nitrogen actually makes the best ice cream because it freezes it instantly," Cindy said.

Liquid nitrogen freezes ice cream at -320 degrees F.

Blue Spoon will be a “mom and pop” ice cream shop — a family-friendly space where all people are welcome, Cindy said.

“It goes across age, cultural lines. Everybody loves it, and it brings everybody together,” she said, adding that she hopes The Blue Spoon will be a student-friendly environment.

As construction continues in the store, the Somasunderams have worked to ensure greater access to outlets so students can use their shop to relax with a sweet treat and get work done.

The Hemp Store

The glowing “open” sign in the window of The Hemp Store, also located on Franklin Street, has caught the attention of many Chapel Hill locals.

With all the buzz going around about CBD and its benefits, owner Tanya Durand is excited to open her store. She said she's also glad to have the opportunity to bring awareness to this plant that has been "kept quiet" for so long.

“We want to make sure people are getting the highest quality products, so it’s all lab-tested," Duran said. “We care about people. We care about people getting relief.”

While The Hemp Store has opened its doors to customers for a "soft opening," the official grand opening is scheduled for March 9. The event will serve as an open house for customers to try free samples, take part in sales, enjoy giveaways and become more educated on the uses for hemp.

@caileybren 

More in Business

More in Food Issue

More in Food & Drink