UNC baseball completes sweep of South Florida, remains unbeaten

Ike Freeman homerun celebration South Florida
UNC shortstop junior Ike Freeman (8) celebrates with the UNC baseball team after hitting a homerun against South Florida Sunday, Feb. 24, 2019 at Boshamer Stadium. Freeman went 3-4 with 4 RBI.

The North Carolina baseball team (7-0) completed a series sweep against South Florida (3-4) in a double header on Sunday, winning the first game 2-1 and the second game 5-3. 

In the first game, North Carolina started out strong, scoring twice in the first inning, the fourth time the team has done that in six games. With the bases loaded, South Florida pitcher Alec Wisely threw a wild pitch that gave Dylan Harris the chance to run home. Ike Freeman then hit a sacrifice fly to center field, sending Michael Busch home for Freeman’s seventh RBI of the season.

South Florida would cut the Tar Heel lead in half in the third inning. Jordan Santos hit a single to get on base, then advanced to second on a wild pitch by North Carolina starting pitcher Tyler Baum. Santos was batted home on a single from Kyle Phillips, but the inning ended with Phillips stranded on base and USF still down one. Neither team would find a way to score for the rest of the game, and the pitching of Baum (7.0 IP) and Joey Lancellotti closed out the game for UNC. 

In the second game, Michael Busch again scored in the first inning for UNC. The left fielder walked before advancing to second on a wild pitch, then scored after a sacrifice fly by Caleb Roberts. 

In the third, a leadoff double by Chris Chatfield began USF’s best inning of the series. Jake Sullivan hit a single down the right side to send Chatfield home, then advanced to second on an error that also put Brandon Schrepf on base. Santos hit an RBI single, and Schrepf scored on a Phillips groundout to give USF three runs before the end of the inning. 

North Carolina responded in kind, scoring two runs of their own to tie the score at three. Harris was walked, then Busch hit a single to put men on first and second before Freeman hit a double to bat in Harris. A fielding error allowed Busch to tie the game. 

The top of the eighth inning ended in dramatic fashion, as Santos tried to round home on a fly-out by Genord, but was tagged out and subsequently ejected from the game after colliding with UNC catcher Brandon Martorano.

In the bottom of the eighth, Busch reached base on a walk to start. Freeman then rocketed a two-run homer over the left wall, tying his career high for home runs in a season with three in just the eighth game of the 2019 season. That home run would give the Tar Heels the breathing room they needed to close out the 5-3 win.

Baum had one of the most impressive games of his career Sunday morning. The junior right-handed pitcher threw seven innings, and recorded a career-high 12 strikeouts in 96 pitches. This topped his previous best of 10, also against South Florida on Feb. 17 of last year. Baum allowed just five hits and one run, and was the key factor in keeping the North Carolina lead in a low-scoring game. 

Michael Busch had an impressive Sunday as well, scoring four runs in two games, including the score that tied the game for North Carolina in the bottom of the third inning in the second game. But it was Ike Freeman, with five RBIs combined across two games, who was UNC’s most productive offensive player on Sunday, and it was his second clutch home run of the series that helped the Tar Heels to sweep their series with the Bulls. 

The first game remained close until the end, with the Tar Heels winning by one run despite being out-hit 5-3. North Carolina gave USF opportunities to get back in the first game, with the team’s last hit coming in the fifth inning, but South Florida couldn’t find a way to capitalize. 

The second game also remained close until the eighth inning, when the two-run home run by Freeman proved to be the difference. It was the ejection of Jordan Santos, though, that took the wind out of USF's sails, and losing its best chance to take the lead cost the Bulls the game. 

North Carolina has continued its excellent start to the season, and remains unbeaten through eight games in 2019. If the series against Xavier was all about an offensive explosion across three games – the Tar Heels scored a combined 34 runs in three games against the Musketeers – the series against South Florida proved that the Tar Heels could win close, ugly games in unfavorable conditions. 

After playing a very late game in the rain Saturday night, North Carolina showed up Sunday morning with early offense that carried the team through the first game. Tired bats lost power as the day went on, but the series sweep was as much a testament to the team’s endurance as it was to their skill. 

UNC next plays UNC Wilmington on Tuesday. The Seahawks are 4-3 on the season so far, and the game will be played at 3 p.m. at Boshamer Stadium. 

@bg_keyes