First-years lead UNC baseball to opening day win

Gianluca Dalatri Aaron Sabato Xavier
Junior pitcher Gianluca Dalatri (42) throws the ball to first-year first baseman Aaron Sabato (19) during UNC's 12-3 win against Xavier on Friday, Feb. 15, 2019.

On opening day the No. 7 North Carolina baseball team, was not just starting a new season, but newcomers made their debut, and a veteran started in a new position.

As fans filed into Boshamer Stadium on Friday afternoon, they were greeted by the sound of the baseball cracking off the end of the bat. As they looked out on the diamond, they saw both veterans and newcomers on the 2019 North Carolina baseball team getting ready for opening day. 

North Carolina (1-0) beat Xavier (0-1), 12-3, on Friday afternoon, and started its 2019 season with a victory. New faces and veterans alike were key to the first win of the year. 

At the start of the first inning, Xavier loaded the bases with one out, but Dalatri struck out two Musketeers to get out of the inning. After the Tar Heels got out of the inning, they came up to the plate and started out fast.

In his first collegiate at bat, first-year Sabato singled to right field and drove in his first run of the season to give his team a 1-0 lead. The Tar Heels would go on to score two more runs in the inning, including a solo home run by Freeman over the left field wall. After the first inning, head coach Mike Fox had a good feeling about the game.

“I honestly think we won the game in the first inning,”  Fox said. “Just getting out of the jam and then in the bottom of the first, against their guy putting up three. I know they came back and tied it, but I think we sent a good message early on that we were going to score some runs.”

The first inning was not just big for the Tar Heels at the plate, but the inning was also important for Busch, the new left fielder. Busch, who played first base last season and was named second team all-ACC, was starting his first game in left field.

“I kinda work out there towards the end of the fall and obviously the preseason,” Busch said. “Just as many reps as I can in practice scrimmages, just to get used to it. Yeah, there were still a little butterfly’s the first inning just because I never played a game in the outfield, but after that first inning and I made that first catch, I settled down a little bit.”

After Xavier tied the game at three a piece in the third inning, Fox took out Dalatri. Throughout 2.1 innings, Dalatri gave up three hits, three runs, two walks and hit two batters.

Once Dalatri exited, first-year Will Sandy — who eventually got the win in his first college game — took the mound. 

"Yeah, I think it is safe to say that there were some nerves,” Sandy said. “The boys helped me calm down pretty fast."

With the help of Sandy, the Tar Heels quieted the Musketeers offense while ensuring that they still stayed hot at the plate. After 4.2 innings pitched, he put the team in position to win, giving up one hit, three walks, no earned runs and striking out five. 

At the plate, two other first-year’s led the way. Sabato and Roberts combined to score two runs, three RBIs and three walks across the game, hitting at the third and fourth spot in the lineup, respectively. 

“They all played like I thought they could and would, certainly hoped,” Fox said. “I don’t put two freshmen in the three and four hole if I don’t think they are ready. Those two kids are pretty special. I kept thinking all the time I’ve been here that that has ever happened here on opening day. “ 

In addition to those two first-years, Freeman went 4-for-5 on the day with four RBIs and scored two runs. 

With one game under their belt, the Tar Heels won their 19th consecutive game at Boshamer Stadium, which is the longest current home winning streak in the nation. With that being said after the win, North Carolina is focusing on tomorrow. 

“I’m excited to see what is in store for us, but Xavier is a good team,” Busch said. “They might not have played as well as they could have tonight, but they are going to come back and play good tomorrow.” 

@TorreNetkovick