After starting seven games at quarterback in 2017, Chazz Surratt changes positions

Surratt throws

Quarterback Chazz Surratt (12) rears back for a pass during a game against Notre Dame on Oct. 7 in Kenan Memorial Stadium.

Chazz Surratt will be hitting quarterbacks for the North Carolina football team this upcoming season.

Inside Carolina reported on Tuesday afternoon that the soon to be redshirt junior will officially switch sides of the ball, from quarterback to outside linebacker, when UNC opens spring practice on Sunday.

The move to linebacker comes after a 2018 campaign where Surratt was one of 13 players suspended for the first four games of the season for selling team-issued shoes. The Denver, N.C., native returned against Miami on Sept. 27, but his time on the field was short-lived. Surratt completed four passes, threw three interceptions and rushed for 69 yards and a touchdown in his only game this season. 

Following his third interception against the Hurricanes, Surratt tore ligaments in his right wrist while attempting a tackle. He missed the remainder of the 2018 season.

Elliott appeared in 10 games for the 2018 season and posted 2,169 yards, 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions. Fortin started against Virginia Tech and appeared in four games on the year. A leg injury against the Hokies sidelined him for almost a month He completed 49.2 percent of his passes for 388 yards, passed for one touchdown and ran for another. Ruder appeared in one game against Georgia Tech and passed for 80 yards before injuring his shoulder and missing the remainder of the season.

For Surratt, the move to linebacker will not be an unknown one. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound athlete played some at the position in high school on passing downs, according to Inside Carolina recruiting analyst Don Callahan.

@christrenkle2