Explore the new color and light offered at the FRANK Gallery exhibition

FRANK gallery

Photo Courtesy of Abbie Ashford. The FRANK Gallery opened their Color and Light Exhibit this weekend. 

The Color and Light show hosted by the FRANK Gallery showcases the work of artists Sudie Rakusin, Peg Bachenheimer, Sasha Bakaric and Susan Filley. The pieces by Rakusin and Bachenheimer are wall displays, while Bakaric and Filley created ceramic pieces.

Each artist has a unique perspective on the world and translates it through their mediums of work. Rakusin focused specifically on abstract pieces done with cold wax for this showcase. She said it was a fairly new concept to her that she has recently begun to explore.

Rakusin also attempted to appeal to a wider audience by going beyond large pieces that are not necessarily affordable for everyone. She did this by creating coloring books so others may take her art and make it their own in some way while experiencing the same calming feeling she has while creating. 

“All of my work comes from my soul, comes from my spirit so I want it to go directly into someone else’s soul and spirit," Rakusin said. "I want it to move them on that really deep level, I want them to feel love and joy. I want them to feel good.” 

There is a personal tie to Rakusin’s artwork as well. One of the pieces on display at the gallery is an altar that depicts sunflowers because she believes they are a direct tie to her father, who died in 1985.  

“Whenever I see sunflowers, I am reminded of him, so I decided to put sunflowers in the smaller altar,” Rakusin said. “They pop up at the most surprising times, and when they do, I know my dad is with me and I feel him. I felt him there (at the showcase) last night.”

Bakaric’s inspiration comes from the world of viruses and microbiology. She finds beauty in the perfection and intricacy of microorganism and the designs they form. She stumbled upon her inspiration when a friend commented on her designs resembled the patterns found in images of microorganisms.

“It coincided with stuff that was happening in my personal life because my father died of cancer and then my mom got cancer and it was all about cells and cells that are deadly and ugly, but visually they can still be beautiful,” Bakaric said. “It is basically a way of owning what I fear the most and what caused me so much sorrow and pain. I feel like if I put it as an image on a piece I’m not so scared or so sad anymore.”

Each woman has a unique method for creating her artwork. Bakaric described the experience as child’s play and feeling lost in an imaginary space where she is creating everything. Bachenheimer, on the other hand, said she finds peace in her studio where she is able to listen to music and escape from the business of her home. 

Each artist was unique in design and approach to her artwork, but together they saw their pieces as complimentary to one another. Bachenheimer discussed how they are all friends outside of the gallery as well. FRANK has brought together vastly different artists to create a showcase that allows each piece to compliment the others and each woman to highlight one of her greatest passions: art. 

“I came onto this earth an artist. It was just the one thing that I knew for sure,” Rakusin said. “I paint the world that I would like to live in.”

The art is on display from Feb. 5 until April 6 and available for purchase at FRANK galleries located in University Place.

@abbie_ashford