Where are you watching the Duke game?

UNC/Duke Student Section

Students cheer on the UNC men’s basketball team from the risers in the Smith Center during the game against Duke on March 4, 2017.

Wednesday night, UNC will face off against ACC rival Duke University at 9 p.m. in Cameron Indoor Stadium, where the ticket prices are over $3,000. 

UNC students have several different opportunities to view the game with their peers. There have been numerous watch parties organized around campus and nearby, in hopes of rushing onto Franklin Street after a Carolina win. 

The Residence Hall Association is hosting a large watch party in the Great Hall, located in the Student Union. The event is free and open to anyone with a UNC OneCard, said Bharat Modi, RHA president. He said the event is so popular that the line usually wraps around the Union for most of the afternoon. 

“This is one of our big traditional events, so we want to really hype it up," said Dakhari Davis, RHA vice president.

Great Hall doors will open at 8:30 p.m. RHA members on the executive board, governors, community government members and volunteers will work together to help the event run smoothly, Modi said.

“We have a bunch of blue lights, music on during commercials, we've done dance competitions in the past, we have giveaways," Modi said.

Bailey Thomasson, president of Tar Heel Outreach Program said TOP’s largest fundraiser is the UNC vs Duke game viewing at Varsity Theater, located on Franklin Street. The funds raised by students buying tickets for $8 to the event at the Varsity are used to bring underprivileged students in grades five through nine to tour UNC, Thomasson said. 

This popular event has sold out for the past few years within 24 hours for both home and away games, Thomasson said, and it is currently sold out.

“Everybody gets like super hype, and it's really cool because you also have a seat and are comfortable. Your peers are there, and they're all watching on the big screen," Thomasson said. "Everybody gets super crazy, and then we rush Franklin. It’s just really fun."

Junior Emily Solomonson has attended several watch parties at the Varsity during her time at UNC. She said the proximity to Franklin cannot be beat, and neither can the experience.  

Solomonson said being around other students who are cheering and excited makes her feel like she's at the game. 

“I think that's the best part about it because I feel like if I was watching it just in my room, it definitely wouldn't have that same vibe,” she said. 

Modi said being around other UNC students, even though it is an away game, gives a very similar feeling to being at a home game.

Davis said he went to the party at the Union last year. 

"I realized this: it is the first big event that really makes you truly feel like a student at UNC,” Davis said.

@laurenelizw