Now that the dust has (mostly) settled from Student Government elections, it’s time to focus on a different UNC institution’s much-less-annoying selection process for leaders: the editor-in-chief race at The Daily Tar Heel. 

I am not here to ask you to sign a petition, change your Facebook profile picture or metamorphosis into a Morehead with a double major in political science and business. Instead, I’m here to ask you to run the DTH’s annual inquisition of editor candidates. 

The DTH selects its editor-in-chief with an 11-member panel, consisting of four non-DTH students, one community member, a faculty or staff member at UNC, a former DTH editor, one student member of the DTH advertising staff and three members of the newsroom. This panel reviews each editor application and asks questions of the candidates, then votes on who to select. 

I’ve only been on the other end of editor selection, and I ran an uncontested race, but the gig seems pretty sweet: I think the committee members got free breakfast, in addition to DTH gossip and the assurance that you will, at some point, get to meet and/or yell at some of the finest young leaders of the University and also me. I was also asked meaningful and relevant questions during the process, ranging from the nuances of covering student activism and the importance of mental health in leadership roles.

If any of that sounds interesting to you, you can apply to be a committee member here.