Editorial: The Editorial Board's endorsement for student body president

Student Body President Debate
(Left to right) Ashton Martin, Jack Noble, Jane Tullis and Tarik Woods participated in the Student Body Presidential Debate on Thursday, Feb.7, 2019. The Dialectic and Philanthropic Societies hosted the event in New West in front of a small audience comprised of UNC-Chapel Hill students.

The Editorial Board is endorsing Ashton Martin for student body president. 

The Editorial Board is endorsing a candidate for Student Body President for the first time in two years. The tradition was paused after a petty 2017 campaign that was tarnished by allegations of sabotage and insincerity.

This is perhaps one of the most contentious periods in UNC’s recent history, and the Board feels that a strong leader has the ability to unite a divided campus. Unfortunately, the Board also recognizes that in past years, the administration has become increasingly centralized and that student government’s promises for change never truly materialized. Numerous times in our discussions, we wondered what the point of endorsing a candidate really was.

The only candidate we felt truly went against the status quo was Elinor Walker. Elinor, the most promising candidate of all, unfortunately did not make it on to the ballot, despite having a platform that truly united the student body #2ply #melthimplease. If we had it our way, we would be calling Elinor our president. Instead, she will receive an honorable mention, in addition to our lifelong devotion and respect. 

Below is a report card that reflects what we want from our next student body president. Each candidate was scored according to the grading scale that we created, with the chosen criteria weighted according to importance. 

Of course, the Board cannot tell you who to vote for. There were flaws in every candidate, some more than others, and you may not value the same things as we do. 

Not everyone votes in student body elections, but you should. The Board urges all of you to make your voice heard, regardless of who you choose to vote for.

This graphic was created by Haley Hodges, with analysis from The Daily Tar Heel's Editorial Board.