Saturday June 12th

Five Pi Lambda Phi members charged with fire alarm tampering

<p>Five members of Pi Lambda Phi have been charged with tampering with smoke alarms in their house on Cameron Avenue after firefighters responded to a carbon monoxide alarm on Feb. 14, 2019.&nbsp;</p>
Buy Photos

Five members of Pi Lambda Phi have been charged with tampering with smoke alarms in their house on Cameron Avenue after firefighters responded to a carbon monoxide alarm on Feb. 14, 2019. 

The Chapel Hill Fire Department announced at 9:15 this morning that it charged five members of UNC's Pi Lambda Phi fraternity last week for tampering with smoke alarms in the fraternity house.

In a press release, the fire department said it was dispatched to the fraternity's house on Feb. 14 to answer a carbon monoxide alarm and found an active leak. After examining each room in the house, which is standard procedure, the firefighters found coverings over the smoke alarms in the bedrooms.

"Fraternities are considered commercial buildings and are required to follow different regulations than standard residences," the department said in the press release. "North Carolina building and fire codes for such a residence states working smoke alarms must be active."

All five students have been charged with tampering with a fire alarm, a Class 2 misdemeanor. 

This story is developing, check back for updates.

Anna Pogarcic

Anna Pogarcic is the editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying journalism and history major. 

Next up in Crime and public safety

Next up in Public Safety

Next up in UNC-Chapel Hill

Next up in Chapel Hill Police

Next up in Chapel Hill

Next up in Chapel Hill Fire Department

Next up in Greek Life

The Daily Tar Heel for April 2, 2021