The Chapel Hill Fire Department announced at 9:15 this morning that it charged five members of UNC's Pi Lambda Phi fraternity last week for tampering with smoke alarms in the fraternity house.
In a press release, the fire department said it was dispatched to the fraternity's house on Feb. 14 to answer a carbon monoxide alarm and found an active leak. After examining each room in the house, which is standard procedure, the firefighters found coverings over the smoke alarms in the bedrooms.
"Fraternities are considered commercial buildings and are required to follow different regulations than standard residences," the department said in the press release. "North Carolina building and fire codes for such a residence states working smoke alarms must be active."
All five students have been charged with tampering with a fire alarm, a Class 2 misdemeanor.
This story is developing, check back for updates.
Anna Pogarcic is the editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying journalism and history major.
To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.