North Carolina gymnastics falls to N.C. State for second time in 2019

Khazia Hislop gymnastics beam Towson
Sophomore Khazia Hislop competes in the beam event against Towson University on Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019 in Carmicheal Arena.

The North Carolina gymnastics team lost to rival N.C. State, 195.850-193.700, on Saturday, Feb. 16 in Valvano Arena at the Reynolds Coliseum.

North Carolina (6-4, 3-2 EAGL) had a tough start on uneven bars in the first rotation. Graduate student Megan Ruzicka and first-year Emery Summey each had a misrelease move and scored a 8.850 and 8.875, respectively. Grace Donaghy scored a 9.725, Mekyllah Williams scored a 9.675, and first-year Drew Aldridge scored a 9.550 for the Tar Heels. UNC lost to N.C. State (7-2, 4-0 EAGL) on bars, 49.200-47.325.

The Tar Heels gained momentum in the second rotation on vault. Junior Alexis Allen scored a season high of 9.800. Juniors Mikayla Robinson and Khazia Hislop finished on vault with scores of 9.850. After five high-scoring performances, Ruzicka did not compete on vault in the 6th spot. North Carolina outscored N.C. State in the event 48.950-48.475, but remained behind NCSU, 97.675-96.275.

UNC moved onto floor in the third rotation. Junior Jamie Antinori fell twice in the first performance on floor to score a 8.400, and Aldridge fell once during her floor debut and scored a 8.950. Madison Hargrave scored a 9.800 and Hislop scored a 9.850. Robinson finished strong for the Tar Heels with a score of 9.825. North Carolina lost to N.C. State 49.200-48.200 for their first loss after five consecutive wins on floor.

North Carolina ended the meet on a positive note on beam. Hislop and Jamie DeCicco both scored a 9.900, and Alexis Allen scored a 9.850. The Tar Heels beat North Carolina State 49.225-48.975 on beam for their highest rotation score of the meet, but still came out defeated.

Out of all competitors, Hislop tied for second on floor, scoring above 9.850 for her 15th consecutive meet. Hislop tied Robinson for second on vault, and tied DeCiccio for first on beam.

DeCiccio scored a career-high on beam and brought home her first career first place finish.

The meet was decided in the first rotation when Ruzicka and Summey fell on bars. Bars was North Carolina’s lowest rotation score of the meet, and it was impossible to come back from.

Head coach Derek Galvin said that the slip-ups on bars were due to a lack of focus and that as a coach he takes responsibility for it.

North Carolina lost to N.C. State earlier in the season in Carmichael Arena. At the Jan. 25 meet, beam was the performance that cost the Tar Heels the win. Although the rivalry was lost again, UNC scored a season-high on beam and showed improvement on the event since their first matchup against North Carolina State.

The Tar Heels will compete again at Carmichael Arena on Friday against New Hampshire at 7 p.m.

@savannahhuntt | @DTHSports