Column: Dismantling white supremacy in North Carolina

The OC Voice is a portion of the OC Report newsletter where local residents may have a platform to talk about local issues they care about.

Heather Redding is an Orange County activist and founder of Hillsborough Progressives Taking Action, a grassroots community that organizes around equity and justice. 

The dismantling of white supremacy is occurring both literally and figuratively across North Carolina. Keeping alight the torch of past civil rights leaders and activists, anti-racists are toppling Confederate monuments, banning hate symbols in local public schools and renaming buildings bearing the names of white supremacists. New memorials are being erected to contextualize spaces where racial violence occurred, and governing bodies are being asked to take firm stances on racial equity issues.

While we are certainly moving in the right direction, we cannot afford to take victory laps. The mere removal of a racist monument or marker or the banning of a hate symbol is not a true victory unless done in the spirit of racial justice and followed through with other concrete actions.

For example, the Hate Free Schools Coalition spearheaded a dress code policy change in Orange County schools, which was followed by the election of new progressive school board members, the creation of an Equity Task Force and the passing of an equity policy. Their work to protect students has continued long after the Orange County School Board banned Confederate flags and hate symbols from its classrooms, as has their community-driven momentum.

At the state level, racial justice continues to be stymied by the protection of Confederate symbols by elected officials. Several state lawmakers have been endorsed by the N.C. Sons of Confederate Veterans' political action group, including House Speaker Tim Moore, Sen. Phil Berger and Rep. David Lewis.

Recently, the SCV hosted a Legislative Reception at the United Daughters of the Confederacy headquarters in Raleigh. Believed to be among the attendees were N.C. Representatives Michael Speciale, R-District 3, and Kevin Corbin, R-District 120, both of whom hold leadership positions in the house committee where key monument bills, like House Bill 10 and House Bill 20, are sitting. The SCV is also permitted to utilize state resources for private Confederate functions. They use the State Historic Capitol to celebrate Robert E. Lee’s birthday and for their annual Confederate Flag Day celebration, which is occurring on March 2.

Neo-Confederate supporters pining for the 19th century have no place in public office or using public buildings. We must repeal the monument law and expose lawmakers who aid racist organizations. We must demand not only the physical removal of white supremacist propaganda, but pursue racially equitable policies across all institutions and for all communities. We must not give legitimacy to white supremacist groups like the SCV and UDC, regardless of whether they have nonprofit status.

The catalyst for desired change has always been the people, and we will continue to chip away at the foundation of white supremacy until its pillars collapse into a pile of rubble.