Statement claims SBP candidate Tarik Woods challenged leadership capabilities based on gender

Tarik Woods, cropped
Tarik Woods, photographed by Adam Abbott.

Katharine Shriver, speaker of the 99th Undergraduate Senate, released a statement Tuesday about student body presidential candidate Tarik Woods. 

Shriver said she went Carolina Women's Center last year after working with Woods, whom she claims challenged her leadership capabilities on the basis of gender, her statement says. 

"Toxic masculinity and implicit views of male superiority have no place on this campus, and they certainly do not have a place in the office of the Student Body President," the statement said. 

Woods responded with his own statement within an hour of Shriver's post. Woods said his "aggressive leadership type" may have led Shriver to this state, and that he was not aware that his actions were harmful at the time. 

Woods said he is prepared to disclose any communication he has between himself and Shriver during the 99th session. 

"My goal then, and now is to make Carolina a better University, and when the Speaker was not doing her job I was the first one to tell her," the statement said. "I regret not being aware of how she was affected."

Woods is one of three candidates remaining in the SBP election. Voting closes at 8 p.m., and the results will be released soon after.