Previewing the UNC men's golf team's promising spring outlook

Doug Ergood

Men's golf first-year Doug Ergood follows through on a swing at Finley Golf Course on Sept. 5, 2018. Photo courtesy of the UNC Athletic Department.

Following a 15th place finish in last season’s NCAA Championship, the North Carolina men’s golf team looks forward to starting the spring season on Monday. Here’s a look at what’s to come.

How do they play?

This spring, UNC’s roster is composed of mostly underclassmen (five out of nine team members), with three being first-years, including Dougie Ergood. Head coach Andrew DiBitetto doesn’t consider this to be a major issue. 

DiBitetto said the first-years on the team should have more success this spring since they have had time to adjust to collegiate athletics and academics.

“Those guys are just a little bit more settled now,” DiBitetto said. “That first semester for golfers tends to be pretty difficult, because we can’t bring our guys in early due to NCAA rules, so their adjustment period consists of everything hitting them at the same time.”

The veterans on the team include sophomore Ryan Gerard, junior Austin Hitt and senior Joshua Martin. These experienced players are going to have to help teach the younger players how to succeed if UNC wants to place higher in the NCAA Championship in May.

Who stands out?

Overall, Hitt has stood out the most for the Tar Heels this season. Coming off a finish of 73 in the final round of the NCAA Championship last spring, Hitt averaged 70.13 this fall. He is currently ranked No. 68 out of all NCAA Division 1 players.

In the fall, Hitt scored a 202 during the Wake Forest’s Old Town Club Collegiate, which is the fifth-lowest hole total for UNC in a 54-hole tournament. If he continues to play at this level, Hitt has the potential to finish even higher in the NCAA Championship.

Most important tournament?

The most important tournament for UNC this spring is the Sea Best Invitational in Jacksonville, Fla. on Feb. 4 and 5. DiBitetto said the tournament allows players to see where they are early on in the season. He took the whole team down last weekend to practice on the course.

“That golf course especially, will give us a very good indication as to where games are for each guy on our team,” DiBitetto said. “It’s a golf course that, you know, if you have some weakness or you have some uncertainties, you know, the golf course is pretty much going to let you know about it.”

Biggest weakness?

The biggest weakness for the Tar Heels this spring is that they are going to have to compensate for the loss of three players who graduated: Ben Griffin, Jose Montaño and William Register. Griffin, Montaño and Register worked together to change and develop a culture for the team that allowed UNC to qualify for back-to-back NCAA Championships. Before then, UNC hadn't made the tournament since 2007.

In the 2018 NCAA Championship, both Griffin and Register had a major role in securing a 15th-place finish for UNC. Griffin and Register both shot 8-over-par in the 2018 NCAA Championship, and they both tied for 41st place.

Why could they win it all?

This spring, there is potential for the Tar Heels to go further than the team has in the past 15 years.

DiBitetto said UNC stands out this season, not because of its physical strength, but because of its mental game. He is encouraging his players to utilize their mindset to become tougher and more committed to the sport, since everyone already has physical strength at this level of play.

“In reality there’s a very few select teams that are actually going to be willing to do the things necessary to truly have that success," DiBitetto said. "And we need to make sure that we’re one of those teams.” 

@markburnett1234