Are you watching movies wrong? This Oscars Preview Event will teach you the right way

Oscars

An Oscar statue stands outside of the 84th Annual Academy Awards in Los Angeles on Feb. 26, 2012.

Photo Courtesy of Lionel Hahn/Abaca Press/TNS.

The “Carolina Blue carpet” will be rolling out on Tuesday for the sixth annual Oscars Preview Event. Expert hosts Rachel Schaevitz and Dana Coen will discuss the upcoming Academy Awards and how they reflect the evolving film industry today.

The event, created by the General Alumni Association and Carolina Public Humanities, will take place at the Varsity Theatre on Franklin Street.

Shaevitz, associate director for state outreach and strategic partnerships for CPH, has a background in the production world, particularly in independent film. She has a Ph.D. in media and communications with a focus in using media and the humanities for social change. 

“So often these days, we watch films all alone on our laptops, and we don’t get the opportunity to watch them in a community anymore,” Shaevitz said. “This event allows us to come together and review the past year in cinema. What kinds of stories are we telling? How has that changed since years past?” 

The event, which started off as a small, 60-person afternoon lecture at Flyleaf Books, has grown into a major event, complete with popcorn and a blue carpet for photo shoots.

“Last year, we had people go all out and dress up,” Shaevitz said. “It is the Oscars after all.”

Shaevitz will be co-hosting with Dana Coen, director of the writing for the screen and stage minor, who has extensive experience in playwriting, directing and acting.

“Dana is a screenwriter, and I came from the production world, so often we love — or don’t love — a film for very different reasons, and it makes for a dynamic program,” Shaevitz said.

Coen, who has written for TV shows such as "NCIS," "General Hospital" and "Bones," believes the event is a way to learn both why films win awards and why they are made at all.

“Each year we focus on a relevant topic,” Coen said. “Last year it was female representation in films and political speech making. This year we’re looking at the awards telecast itself, which has been a dumpster fire for the last few months. We have suggestions on how to fix it.”

In studying the films nominated for the Oscars, this event is also an opportunity to learn more about the industry and how it has evolved over time. 

“UNC’s strategic plan prioritizes public service and engagement,” CPH Executive Director Max Owre said. “Carolina Public Humanities is one organization on campus dedicated to this mission. This event is one way for us to provide academic content in a uniquely accessible format.”

The event will focus on on how to watch movies and what makes them great. 

“Not only will participants learn a lot about the movies, not just nominated ones, from the last year, but they will also come away with a sense of how movies — and the Oscars themselves — reflect our societal conditions and trends,” Owre said.