Column: Redemption for the ignorant

Emma Kenfield
Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

This week Liam Neeson inserted himself onto the fast-growing list of public figures in the media who have revealed jarringly racist perspectives.

"I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody — I'm ashamed to say that — and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some (uses air quotes with fingers) 'Black bastard' would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him."

He said this in a recent interview with The Independent, recalling his feelings following a rape against a friend, allegedly committed by a Black male. 

One thing is for sure: this is absolutely unacceptable. Not only did he credit the actions of this man to his skin color, but he publicly admitted to associating the intentions of one twisted mind with those of an entire race — fueling an alleged mission to literally kill any Black man in response. This comment follows recent headlines of resurfaced photos in blackface and the attack against Jussie Smollett. Headlines after headlines, each stinging a little more than the last. It is disheartening. Moreover, it is quite tempting to throw our hands in the air and ask, “When will it all stop?”

What I suggest, though, is that the climate in the media is a good thing. I absolutely agree that it is upsetting to see such repeated acts of hatred, discrimination or, at the very least, ignorance. But isn’t it true that in order to grow as a society, we must create a space for people to make mistakes? 

If those hateful, discriminative, ignorant people quietly pondered their points of view to themselves, their wrongdoings and twisted perspectives could never be corrected. It is exponentially better for mankind as a whole to be challenged by close-minded, racist people and call on them to analyze their views and ultimately grow. 

Be hurt. Be angry. Feel every effect of modern, common prejudice. Then, decide for yourself that the shame of raw exposure alone is enough punishment. This is 2019; racism shouldn't be a normality, it isn’t “just the way things are” anymore. Overt racists are in the minority — they simply need to show themselves. Headlines need to be displayed. They need to be exposed. Without shameful embarrassment to the rest of the world, racist thoughts will foster silently and unencumbered within the minds of the ignorant.

Neeson appeared on Good Morning America following the news to apologize and explain — saying that once he’d come "down to Earth." This public epiphany comes decades after the night he described — only because the world was given a platform to react and show him exactly the way his words affected others. 

Constant exposure to negativity can make you question if there’s goodness in the world. However, it also forces accountability on those in the wrong, so that they are able to open their minds and correct themselves. 

Because that is what will fix this problem. It will be slow, painful and sometimes hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The only way to defeat racism in America is to, one by one, shake the lives of those so fixated on an ignorant point of view, forcing them to confront their outdated beliefs. Giving them a chance to apologize, to realize their wrongs and make up for their actions. 

We do not stone people who screw up anymore. We educate them so that they can put forth kindness in the future. We recognize that humans are a flawed people, and that growth and redemption is far better in the long run than punishment and shame. It takes horrible mistakes to reach substantial growth. 

It is time to stop denying that racism exists, or throwing our hands in the air in defeat. Instead, accept that the process to eliminate it includes accountability with grace. Accept that this country still has miles to grow, and believe that we are the generation to encourage that. 

Lastly, for those who find the coverage of these stories excessive, wake up. “Gotcha journalism” is publishing a story to defame a person of importance undeservingly. Exposure of blatantly wrong opinions is necessary and will absolutely continue — until the reasons to do so subside. If you are numb to the sixth story of blackface you’ve read this week, if the impact of racially-fueled prejudice does not affect you, perhaps it is you who needs reevaluating.