Preview of the weekend in UNC sports, including men's basketball at Wake Forest

bench celebration miami
The UNC bench celebrates a basket against Miami on Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019 in the Smith Center. UNC men's basketball defeated Miami 88-85 in overtime.

As North Carolina's winter athletic season continues and postseason competitions begin, spring teams are looking to make a statement in the opening weeks of their seasons. Take a look at what's on the slate this weekend for UNC athletics.

Basketball 

Coming off a tough loss against No. 4 Virginia, the No. 8 men’s basketball team plays at Wake Forest at noon on Saturday. After exiting with an ankle injury early on against the Cavaliers on Monday, Nassir Little will likely join fellow first-year Leaky Black on the injury list against the Demon Deacons. The Tar Heels will look to go to 10-2 in conference in Winston Salem before a big rivalry game against No. 2 Duke next week.

The women’s basketball team beat Clemson last Sunday, 70-64. The Tar Heels continue conference play into the weekend, facing off against Virginia on Sunday. Tipoff is at 3 p.m. in Carmichael Arena. 

JV men’s basketball closes out a busy hoops weekend, hosting First Love Christian Academy at 7:30 p.m. on Sunday. The team is coming off a 95-61 home win on Monday against Fayetteville Tech. 

Baseball 

After advancing to the College World Series last year, the UNC baseball team kicks off its season against Xavier at 3 p.m. on Friday. North Carolina continues the series into Saturday, playing at 2 p.m. and again Sunday at 1 p.m. The Tar Heels return 19 players from the 2018 season who lettered and 13 who played in the College World Series. 

Softball

The Tar Heels host the ACC/Big Ten Challenge this weekend, starting off against No. 17 Michigan on Friday at 4 p.m. and Sunday at 12:30 p.m. Then, they’ll face Northwestern at 6:30 p.m. and face the school again on Saturday at 3 p.m. The team finished 2-2 in its season-opening tournament last weekend, highlighted by a shutout win against No. 9 South Carolina. 

Lacrosse 

Both lacrosse teams will stay home this weekend and look to defend Kenan Memorial Stadium, where the Tar Heels will host games until the reopening of Fetzer Field.

After a season-opening win against James Madison last weekend, the women's team plays High Point at 6 p.m. on Friday. After an off day on Saturday, the Tar Heels will be in Kenan Memorial Stadium again at noon on Sunday to host East Carolina. 

Coming off two wins against Mercer and Furman, the men’s team will look to continue its hot start to the season in a date with Harvard on Saturday at noon.

Tennis 

After the women's tennis team lost, 4-3, to Georgia in the ITA Team Indoor National Championship on Tuesday, the men have their own title shot this weekend in Chicago, starting Friday against Baylor. Then, the 5-1 Tar Heels will begin their conference season, opening with a matchup against Duke on Feb. 28. 

Golf 

After finishing in the middle of the pack in nearly all of their fall competitions, the women’s golf team kicks off its spring season this weekend. The Tar Heels will head to Tulane for the Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate this weekend, starting on Sunday. 

Wrestling 

The Tar Heels will put their undefeated conference record on the line in a meet with No. 10 N.C. State on Friday at 6:30 p.m. Then, the team will quickly regroup before facing Cornell on Saturday at 6 p.m. UNC is 11-5 on the season and currently on a four-game winning streak after beating ACC opponents Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech. 

Gymnastics 

After a home win against Towson last weekend, the gymnastics team will travel down to N.C. State for the Sweetheart Invitational on Saturday at 4 p.m. The Tar Heels are sitting at 6-3 on the season heading into the meet with the Wolfpack. 

Track and field

North Carolina competes in the JDL DMR Invitational in Winston-Salem this weekend. Events begin at 6 p.m. Friday and will continue on Saturday at 10 a.m. The meet will serve as a final tune-up for the Tar Heels before the ACC Championships next week. 

@brewsybeast

More in Sports

More in Baseball

More in Wrestling

More in Gymnastics

More in Softball