Sports Weekend Preview: Six ranked teams in action in packed weekend for UNC sports

baseball celebration Xavier
UNC baseball players celebrate during the game against Xavier in Boshamer Stadium on Sunday, Feb. 17, 2019. UNC beat Xavier 14-3.

In case you haven't heard, the North Carolina men's basketball team beat Duke Wednesday night. If you're looking for more UNC sports to follow, we've got you covered. A packed weekend is highlighted by hosting a top-10 opponent in women's basketball, the final wrestling match of the season, and a top-3 matchup in women's lacrosse. A total of six ranked Tar Heel teams are in action.

Baseball

The No. 7 Tar Heels are 4-0 following a season-opening sweep against Xavier and a win against North Carolina A&T.  The Tar Heels' offense has looked prolific early in the season, as it outscored Xavier 34-9 in the three-game series. This weekend's matchup with the Bulls should be a tough test for North Carolina, as South Florida just took down No. 4 Florida, 6-1.  USF is 3-1. 

The series begins on Friday in Chapel Hill.

Swim/Dive

Friday and Saturday, the North Carolina women's swimming team and the diving teams on both the men's and women's side will wrap up the ACC Championships. Twenty-two Tar Heel women and three men's divers will compete this weekend, and the UNC women enter ranked No. 21 in the nation. The tournament is taking place in Greensboro. 

Women's basketball

Sylvia Hatchell's squad plays host to rival N.C. State on Sunday. It's a big game for the Tar Heels, as it will be Senior Night and the last chance for UNC to earn a big win in the regular season. The Wolfpack enter the game ranked No. 9 in the country, and have only lost three times all year. One of those came at the hands of UNC in a shocking February upset. 

The Tar Heels will go for the series sweep Sunday at noon in Carmichael Arena. 

Wrestling

The No. 13 North Carolina wrestling team heads to Duke on Friday to close out its regular season. The Tar Heels are 11-7, and hoping to finish out a strong season with a win before the ACC and NCAA Championships begin. 

Lacrosse

Both the men's and women's lacrosse team are in action this weekend. The No. 14 men's team, off to a 3-0 start to the season, takes on Johns Hopkins in Chapel Hill, Saturday at noon. 

The women's team, which is the No. 2 team in the country, travels to Maryland for an early-season blockbuster matchup. The Tar Heels will take on No. 3 Maryland Sunday at noon in College Park. 

Women's tennis

North Carolina is ranked No. 2 in the country, and will head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., to take on Boston College Friday for the first leg of a weekend road trip. The Tar Heels will then head to Ann Arbor, Mich., to play Michigan Sunday at noon. 

Other sports in action

The North Carolina men's golf, fencing, gymnastics, softball and track and field teams all compete this weekend as well. Starting Thursday, the track and field teams are in Blacksburg, Va., for the ACC Indoor Championships. The fencing teams are in the ACC Championships as well, with their tournament in Chestnut Hill, Mass., Saturday and Sunday. 

The men's golf team takes a trip to Hawai'i for the John Burns Intercollegiate, and the softball team is on a West Coast trip, playing in Cathedral City, Calif., for the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic. 

To round things out, the North Carolina gymnastics team will host New Hampshire on Friday.

@holtmckeithan 

More in Sports

More in Baseball

More in Wrestling

More in Softball