PREVIEW: Preseason All-American Michael Busch headlines UNC baseball returners

Michael Busch Maryland

Sophomore Michael Busch runs around the bases after a grand slam against Maryland on March 20 at Boshamer Stadium.

Coming off its first College World Series appearance since 2013, the North Carolina baseball team has a revamped roster this season. Gone are key contributors Kyle Datres, an All-ACC First Team selection as a junior, Cooper Criswell, Brandon Riley and Cody Roberts, all of whom were selected in the 2018 MLB Draft. 

But led by a group of juniors that includes Michael Busch and Gianluca Dalatri, UNC returns plenty of its roster to a team that won 44 games and steamrolled through the ACC. Here are some of the players returning to bolster the No. 7 Tar Heels who were picked to win the ACC Coastal Division for a third consecutive season in 2019 and open the season at Boshamer Stadium on Friday afternoon against Xavier. 

Michael Busch, first baseman

Following an underwhelming first-year season, Busch was UNC’s best player as a sophomore. He posted team-highs in home runs (13), runs batted in (63), walks (55) and runs scored (70) and was rewarded for his efforts with an All-ACC Second Team selection. Busch was even better in the NCAA Regional in Chapel Hill, winning Most Outstanding Player honors after knocking in nine runs in just three games. Over the summer, Busch continued to hit the ball hard in the Cape Cod League for the Chatham Anglers.

Busch is on the national radar coming into his junior campaign and was named a preseason first team All-American by multiple outlets including Baseball America. If Busch finds the same success this season as he did in 2018, UNC could be making another trip back to the College World Series in June, and Busch could be a first-round pick in the 2019 MLB Draft.

Ike Freeman, shortstop

Although Busch was the team’s best player in 2018, perhaps no Tar Heel saw his stock rise more than Freeman did. Tasked with replacing Logan Warmoth, a Consensus All-America selection in 2017, Freeman more than exceeded expectations. The sophomore not only impressed with his defense, he also finished third on the team with a .305 average and knocked in 51 runs. Freeman was voted the team’s Most Valuable Position Player and looks to build on that success as a junior.

Sophomore Ike Freeman (8) follows through on a swing against Maryland on March 20 at Boshamer Stadium.

Ashton McGee, outfielder

McGee was outstanding as a first-year, winning ACC Freshman of the Year honors in 2017. However, McGee was unable to recreate that success as a sophomore, primarily playing left field and right field for UNC. McGee’s low point of the season came on March 27, when he went 0-5 to drop his average to .159 on the season. By the end of the year, McGee started to heat up, ending his sophomore season with a .257 average and 28 runs batted in. With Datres, Riley and Roberts all gone, McGee will need to start his junior season the way he ended his sophomore campaign.

Sophomore Ashton McGee (5) rounds third base against Florida State on March 23.

Brandon Martorano, catcher

Martorano was a good enough high school prospect that he was selected in the 30th round of the 2016 MLB Draft by the Arizona Diamondbacks. He made the decision to forego playing professionally to attend UNC and hasn’t looked back since. As a first-year, he started just 14 games, but he saw that number rise to 52 games last season. Martorano has more power than any returner other than Michael Busch, having hit nine home runs in 2018. He finished with 22 extra-base hits on the year, good for third best on the team. Although Martorano split time behind the plate with Roberts last season, he should hold down the fort at catcher as a junior. 

Sophomore Brandon Martorano (4) talks to senior Brett Daniels (19) as Daniels prepares to pitch against East Carolina on Feb. 25 at Boshamer Stadium.

Gianluca Dalatri, pitcher

Dalatri was UNC’s Opening Day starter as a sophomore, but he was quickly sidelined after just two starts due to an arm injury. Dalatri, who possesses a fastball that sits in the low 90s, returned on May 19 to post four scoreless innings and strike out three in a win against Virginia Tech. The sophomore ended the season with a 2-2 record and a 3.33 earned run average in seven starts. UNC hopes Dalatri can return to the form he had as a first-year, when he was named a Consensus Freshman All-American and posted a 7-3 record and 3.34 earned run average in 15 starts. If the imposing 6-foot-6 Dalatri can stay healthy, he will likely be selected in the first few rounds of the 2019 MLB Draft.

Pitcher Gianluca Dalatri (42) struck out 15 Radford batters on Feb. 26, 2017.

Austin Bergner, pitcher

Bergner’s greatest trait is his explosive fastball that sits in the mid 90s and can reach 97 miles per hour. He combines the fastball, his primary pitch, with an effective changeup and a sweeping curveball. Bergner was a can’t-miss prospect coming out of high school. The Boston Red Sox selected him in the 38th round of the 2016 MLB Draft, but he decided to come to UNC. 

After posting a 4-2 record as a first-year, Bergner was UNC’s Saturday starter for much of his sophomore season. He finished the year with a 7-3 mark and posted a 4.25 earned run average on the year to go along with 84 strikeouts. His best start of the season came against Mississippi State in the College World Series, as he struck out eight batters in seven innings and retired 16 straight batters. Bergner was selected in the 32nd round of the 2018 MLB Draft by the Diamondbacks, but returned to UNC to improve his draft stock.

The North Carolina baseball team huddles before its game against St. John's on Feb. 21 at Boshamer Stadium.

Caden O' Brien, pitcher

From the moment O'Brien took the mound to start in UNC's home opener last season, it was clear the Tar Heels had found yet another talented pitcher. The lefty only learned he would be making his first career start one day before, yet it didn't stop the first-year from showing his upside against UNC-Wilmington.

He ended the day with seven strikeouts in 4.1 innings of work, but his manager was not surprised by his charge's quality outing. Mike Fox said O'Brien was "usually the first one in the gym and the last one to leave." His work ethic was on full display for the entire 2018 season — O'Brien finished the year tied for a team-high with seven wins and a 2.63 earned run average. In the process, he became one of the most dominant relievers in the ACC.

Expectations are high for the sophomore this season, who uses a three-pitch arsenal led by a fastball that topped out in the mid 80s last season. His deceptive delivery makes it hard for batters to properly track the ball as it leaves his hand. O'Brien was named to the NCBWA Stopper of the Year Watch List on Tuesday and should factor in as one of the best relievers again.

First-year Caden O'Brien (34) pitches against UNC-Wilmington on Feb. 20 at Boshamer Stadium.

@christrenkle2