HALFTIME: No. 8 UNC leads Florida State, 37-34, after wild first 20 minutes

Nassir Little vs Virginia Tech
Forward Nassir Little (5) shoots the ball during the men's basketball game vs. Virginia Tech at the Smith Center on Monday, Jan. 21, 2019. The Tar Heels won 103-82.

UNC has a 37-34 lead at halftime after leading by as many as 13 in the first half. Both teams used 11-0 runs during the opening 20 minutes.

First-year Nassir Little spent a stretch in the first half providing the entertainment for the Smith Center crowd. The forward drove through traffic before rising up over 6-foot-10 forward Mfiondu Kabengele for a powerful one handed dunk to put UNC up, 19-15.

After a Florida State turnover, junior guard Brandon Robinson hit a three to give UNC its largest lead to that point, a 22-15 advantage. A couple minutes later, Little had the crowd back on its feet as he was fouled on a put-back layup to extend the lead to 11, despite missing the free throw.

Little finished the half with a team-high 11 points and five rebounds.

With 3:03 to play in the half, a David Nichols three trimmed UNC’s lead down to two before a pair of Coby White free throws cut off the 11-0 run.

At the end of the half, White, a first-year guard, fouled Nichols with two seconds to play. Nichols hit both, sending the teams to the locker room with the Tar Heels leading 37-34.

The Tar Heels continue to struggle from beyond the arc, shooting just 2-11 from three in the first half. They were 2-20 in their win against Duke on Wednesday.