North Carolina's three-man attack has team at 18-4 this season

Cam Johnson vs Virginia Tech

UNC graduate guard Cameron Johnson (13) evades Virginia Tech sophomore guard Nickeil Alexander-Walker (4) to make a pass at the Smith Center on Monday, Jan. 21, 2019. The Tar Heels won the game 103-82.

Through 22 games this season, it is clear that UNC’s offensive attack is led by a three-man operation. Cameron Johnson, Coby White and Luke Maye are North Carolina’s leading scorers, but how much of the offensive load have those players carried?

In 21 of 22 games, one of those three players has been the team’s leading scorer. The lone performance where another player led the team was Kenny Williams with 12 points against Louisville, a game the Tar Heels would soon like to forget.

Maye, who has not recreated the same success that led to him being a first-team All-ACC selection as a junior, has been more consistent than advertised. In 22 games, he’s led the team in rebounding 18 times and scoring six times, while collecting nine double-doubles. He also ranks second in the ACC in rebounds per game (9.9). Needless to say, he’s having a solid season.

White has been just as good, leading the team in scoring six times this season. He’s turned it up in conference play, averaging a team-high 16.4 points per game. His 4.2 assists per game also lead the team.

Johnson has been the best of the group. He leads the team in scoring (16.0) and 3-point field goals (56). He’s also one of the most efficient scorers in the ACC, hitting 48.3 percent of his shots from deep. 

The three players have formed one of the most potent scoring trios in the country. Now UNC just hopes they can keep it up with the toughest stretch of ACC play approaching.