No. 6 UNC men's tennis falls to No. 8 Texas, 5-2, in top-10 matchup

DSC_3473.JPG
Junior William Blumberg, undeclared major, playing for the UNC men's tennis team against Duke on Jan. 26, 2019, in the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. UNC won 4-1 against Duke.

The No. 6 North Carolina men’s tennis team (4-1) fell 5-2 to No. 8 Texas (7-0) to suffer its first loss of the season. 

From the beginning, the Tar Heels were behind during this top-10 matchup between two originally undefeated teams. With each point that went in their favor, the Longhorns responded just as strong. Texas won on Courts Two and Three, 6-2, beating UNC’s duo teams senior Blaine Boyden and junior Simon Soendergaard and first-year Brian Cernoch and sophomore Mac Kiger. 

For the second match in a row, UNC dropped the doubles point. 

In individual play, the Tar Heels and Longhorns were more evenly matched as five out of the six singles matches went to the third set. Soendergaard was one of two Tar Heels to win a singles match, while also being the first to finish. He won 6-2, 6-2 on Court Six. 

The Longhorns took the next three to clinch the win; however, Courts One and Two played out after the team result was decided. Sophomore Benjamin Sigouin fell in the third set after a 10-8 tiebreak. Junior William Blumberg was the other Tar Heel to win his singles matche, finishing last on Court One, 6-7 (4-7), 7-5, 6-3. 

Even with a negative result, UNC stayed focused on the positives this match brought them. 

“Congrats to Texas,” head coach Sam Paul said. “I’m very proud of my team; they fought very hard. This match will help us a lot down the road.” 

Based on stats, Blumberg had a stronger night in the face of a team loss. During doubles, he and Sigouin held Texas to a 4-4 score, and the junior was one of two Tar Heels to win in the singles matches. 

Last season, Blumberg ended up making UNC history. He earned All-America honors in singles and doubles, finishing No. 2 and No. 3 respectively, and voted ACC Player of the Year. He is the first UNC player to earn ACC Player of the Year and ACC Freshman of the Year honors during his career, and was ranked as high as No. 1 in both singles and doubles during the 2018 spring season. 

The match was undecided up until the last moment. Boyden and Sigouin were in third set tiebreakers while Blumberg was up 3-2 in the third set with a serve. Boyden lost his match 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5) and Sigouin lost to No. 18 Yuha Ito 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 (10-8).

The top-10 matchup marks the first match for UNC since beating Duke last weekend for a spot in the 16-team ITA National Team Indoor Championships. 

The Tar Heels will will be back on the road again on Saturday to take on Illinois at 7 p.m.

@mwc13_3