Jazz up your Valentine's Day with the UNC music department

Valentine's Jazz Concert

The UNC music department is hosting a Valentine's Day Jazz Concert on Feb. 10, 2019 in celebration of the holiday. Photo by Joshua Walker. 

More than 60 years after Louis Armstrong performed in Memorial Hall, the UNC music department is bringing jazz music back to celebrate Valentine's Day. 

The music department is hosting its Valentine’s Jazz Concert on Feb. 10. The concert will host an assortment of musical compilations by students from Duke University and North Carolina Central University, along with students in the UNC music department. 

The concert, which has been taking place for over 10 years and is hosted by a different school each time,  provides an opportunity for the various ensembles to interact with one another, said Nicholas Sengstaken, a junior saxophonist.

Senior Arvind Mallikarjunan said the concert is a way to feel more connected to other jazz ensembles performing.

“It is fun and the music varies from each ensemble presenting," said Jim Ketch, the director of jazz studies at UNC. "There is a lot of talent assembled in that one day. Very cool social networking occurs.”

Ben Robinson, a sophomore trumpet player, said the concert not only connects different ensembles from the Triangle, but can also unite the audience members.

“Jazz is a beautiful genre for Valentine’s Day because of its intimate and conversational nature,” Robinson said. “Jazz can be soothing to the heart and can create sentimental feeling.” 

Aside from the classic sound jazz is often known for, Robinson said another reason audiences should come watch the show is the bonding element of music.  

Mallikarjunan, who plays the saxophone, said jazz is an ideal genre for the holiday.

“I remember when I took my grandparents for their first jazz show," Mallikarjunan said. "They had recently come from India and had never been to a jazz concert before. They were confused but somehow moved by the emotion and prowess the performance had.”

The show is a part of the Scholarship Benefit Concert Series, meaning that proceeds from the tickets will go toward funding the UNC music department and its students.

“All of our programs need to generate more support for students that show a real passion and dedication to the music,” Ketch said. “So each school that hosts the event uses the proceeds to help support future students that will audition for our programs.”

The concert will be held in Hill Hall Auditorium.

“We have lots of concerts through the years where we invite great musicians to play with the bands,” Mallikarjunan said. “Life on campus can be hectic, so come spend an hour or two relaxing at any of our concerts. You won’t regret it.”