Don’t feel included enough in political conversation? Here are some fun ideas to spark conversation at parties or in a park. Or at the doctor’s office. Or at the grocery store. Wherever tattoos might come up. 

Maybe you’re out shopping at Target for that perfect room decor and you spot a pillow with a peace sign on it. Inspiration hits. You crack out that thesaurus and look up synonyms for “peace.” You find tranquility. A beautifully inked peace sign wrapped in vines on the back of your neck begs the question “why?” or “what” or “seriously?” You explain that your tattoo expresses the tranquility and peace you wish to have always in your life. You explain the definition of peace, and you repeat the phrases “peace” and “tranquility” a few more times, as if people didn’t already get that a peace sign means what it literally is. The vines? 

“Well I’ve gotta have a little fun,” you say. 

Throw your hair back. Do a little dance. 

What’s that there? 

It’s a colorful spectacle up and down your forearm. Remember that romantic summer you spent at the lake house and the one night you saw those fireworks put on by your small town and its small budget? 

You thought, “Wow, fireworks. It’s really poppin.” 

Perfect. You were looking for a change, being summer and all, and you not having landed that internship, you looked to that next opportunity: a standout tattoo. A magnificent display of mediocrity, all so you can return to school and let your classmates know that you decided to go with the design because you thought that the design was indicative of you “in the moment.”

A dog’s paw. Delightful. What’s that you say? You don’t have any pets? Then why would you possibly have a dainty little paw scrawled on your wrist? You’ve always aspired to have pets, but too bad your mom Jacky’s pet allergies kept your family from the simple joy of a furry friend’s company. No days at the park or walks around the neighborhood for you, but thankfully the tattoo can give you the hope that one day you and Fido will be together. In your apartment in the big city. You’re a big dog person, cats can suck it. You have a big heart and a passion for people, and this tattoo, despite you never actually having a real relationship with a dog, expresses your swelling heart and your endless generosity. 

Tattoos are windows into the soul. No matter what, you always have to assign meaning to them. Always. You can never have them for fun. Even if you did get a silly, meaningless tattoo, just be fake and make something up when the time comes to explain your tattoo at a social event.  Happy After Valentine’s Day!