Ortega keys UNC women's lacrosse victory over High Point in 13-9 win

Jamie Ortega High Point
UNC sophomore attacker Jamie Ortega (3) takes a penalty shot against High Point in Kenan Memorial Stadium on Friday, Feb. 15, 2019. UNC won 13-9.

After a dominant win against No. 4 James Madison, the No. 2 North Carolina women's lacrosse team hosted a High Point team that had not beaten UNC in the past six attempts. Though this matchup would be no different, the Panthers gave the Tar Heels all they could handle in a 13-9 UNC win on Friday night at Kenan Memorial Stadium.

And if it weren't for sophomore Jamie Ortega, the result might have been markedly different.

After nearly five minutes of scoreless play, the Panthers got on the board first to take an early lead. It took 21 seconds for Ortega to respond. She scored two goals of her own in less than 30 seconds to give the Tar Heels their first lead of the game. Then, the reigning National and ACC Freshman of the Year also assisted on the next goal to extend the lead.

“I was just really excited and came prepared to play,” Ortega said. 

After a High Point goal, the game was locked at 3-2 until the 6:21 mark of the first half. That's when first-year Tayler Warehime found the back of the net for her first goal of the game, making a sharp cut before Ortega found her with an incisive pass. She was able to score low after using a pump fake to get the goalie in the air. 

High Point had another answer. Before halftime, they went on a two-goal run to tie the game at the break. Of North Carolina’s five first-half goals, Ortega had a role in all of them, scoring on three and assisting on two. 

The second half featured three-goal runs by each team. The Tar Heels got goals from first-year Elizabeth Hillman, Ortega, and junior Katie Hoeg. The Panthers showed the resiliency that they had displayed all game and tied it up, 8-8. UNC head coach Jenny Levy was made sure to give credit to how hard the Panthers played. 

“We have a lot of respect for the High Point program," Levy said. "They are tough, they are gritty, and they are well-coached. They came in here to beat us.”

Ortega had another highlight goal to reclaim the lead, fighting off hard contact to get a shot off that sailed past the goalie. Sophomore Taylor McDaniels added a goal of her own to give the Tar Heels a 10-8 lead. When the UNC lead was cut to one, however, Levy called a timeout to regroup. 

“She did not draw anything up," junior Olivia Ferrucci said. "She just kinda put the fire underneath us to get us going."

Ferrucci used this energy to her advantage and provided a huge assist to a goal that gave the Tar Heels a two-goal cushion with 8:54 to go. The lead was extended by Ortega’s sixth goal of the game to put the contest out of reach. From there, North Carolina was able to cruise to the 13-9 victory. 

Despite the win, Levy was not very pleased with the team’s performance. However, she acknowledged the team’s fight. 

“It wasn’t lack of effort tonight," Levy said. "It was just locking in, communicating, and executing."

There were a lot of fouls on both sides, including several yellow cards. Junior Caroline Wakefield was ejected from the game after receiving two yellow cards.

“I wasn’t really happy with the quality of the game, quite honestly,” Levy said. “Three of their four goals were off the 8-meter. Our game has become very physical, and I’d like to see a much cleaner game where you don’t have as many eight-meters deciding score.”

Despite the physical play, Ortega's six goals and two assists helped lift North Carolina to a hard-fought win.

“I just felt like I had a bigger role tonight,” said Ortega. “I have to trust myself. My teammates trust me. I have to make a difference in the game right now and step up as a leader.”

@ryanheller23