No. 2 UNC women's tennis sweeps UNCG and Appalachian State on Tuesday

Chloe Ouellet-Pizer tennis App

Senior Chloe Ouellet-Pizer prepares to return the ball during a singles match against App State on Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2019. UNC beat App State 7-0. 

In a Tuesday afternoon doubleheader, the No. 2 North Carolina women’s tennis team (11-1) defeated UNCG (1-4) and Appalachian State (3-2) in its first return to action since a trip to the ITA National Team Indoor Championships which culminated in a loss to Georgia in the title match. After a disappointing finish to their indoor championship run, the Tar Heels looked to rebound against their in-state opponents and use the back-to-back matches as a tune up for upcoming conference play at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. 

The Tar Heels started the day off by defeating the Spartans, 7-0, refusing to lose a single set in both singles and doubles play. UNC appeared to be firing on all cylinders, continuing the style of play that allowed them to reach the ITA Indoor Championship title match for the fifth straight season. 

After a brief intermission, North Carolina continued to prove why the team is considered to be one of the top squads in the nation, taking down the Mountaineers in a similar 7-0 fashion. The Tar Heels finished the day without losing any sets in any matches, demonstrating the strength the team possesses across its lineup.

Tuesday’s doubleheader saw a number of head coach Brian Kalbas’ reserves step up and play well on their home court. Senior Chloe Ouellet-Pizer and first-year Sophia Patel’s play warranted recognition from their coach. 

“It was great to see Chloe and Sophia get in here and play all four matches,” Kalbas said. “Going down the road into conference play, we are going to need more than the six players that have played mostly in our tough matches.”

The duo won both doubles matches against UNCG and Appalachian State, 6-1. 

After a disappointing loss in the ITA National Team Indoor Championship title match, these two wins proved that UNC has not lost its step and will be a formidable force for the remainder of the season.

“It’s good to get back on the horse and get the competitive juices flowing again,” Kalbas said. 

The day was never in danger for the Tar Heels, who controlled all aspects of both matches. The Tar Heels finished the day going a staggering 12-0 in singles matches and 4-0 in doubles. The pursuit of such perfection, however, was almost cut short in the final match of the day between Patel and Sandra Anglesjo. Appalachian State’s Anglesjo found herself up 5-4 in the second set, with the chance of winning the set and forcing a third. Patel responded to the pressure and battled back to win the set 7-5, adding icing to the cake on UNC’s dominating performance. 

The momentum built in Tuesday’s decisive performance will propel the Tar Heels into their road match against Boston College on Friday at 1 p.m. This trip to Chestnut Hill, Mass., will be UNC’s first conference match of the season, as the team looks to repeat as ACC champions for the fourth year in a row.