UNC baseball gets shut out for first time in 2-0 loss to Liberty

Baseball VCU
VCU Junior Alex Taylor slides into score at home plate during VCU's 11-8 win over UNC on Wednesday, Feb. 27, 2019.

The No. 16 North Carolina baseball team dropped a low-scoring game, 2-0, to the Liberty Flames in Lynchburg, Va. on Tuesday. 

On a day dominated by pitching, it was the Tar Heels (16-6, 2-4) who looked to have the early edge. They notched five hits in the first three innings, including three in the third inning alone. But with the bases loaded and one out, Ike Freeman grounded into a double play, and the Flames escaped unscathed. 

Liberty (15-5) had similar batting struggles, going hitless through the first four frames as first-year starter Will Sandy mowed through the first three innings, and reliever Connor Ollio picked up where Sandy left off in the fourth. 

Disaster struck in the fifth inning for the Tar Heels. Ollio gave up a single to Liberty’s Jaylen Guy, the Flames' first hit of the game. After Guy advanced to second with a stolen base, Ollio faced junior Jonathan Embry with one on and two outs. Embry launched the ball over the right field fence, giving Liberty a 2-0 lead with his second long ball of the year. 

The rest of the game saw only two hits (both from UNC), with neither team able to manufacture runs. 

North Carolina stranded runners on the corners in the eighth inning, and fared no better in the ninth. 

After a Brandon Martorano strikeout, Clemente Inclan doubled with one out in the ninth. Danny Serretti moved him to third with a ground ball to first, but Earl Semper struck out swinging, and the Flames held on for the win. 

The UNC pitching staff was impressive in this game. Excluding the single and home run in the fifth inning, the Tar Heels allowed no hits on the mound. Will Sandy was particularly good starting the game, allowing just two base runners (an error and a hit-by-pitch), and striking out six batters.

Raleigh native Evan Braband was one of two stellar pitchers for Liberty. He took over for starter Mason Meyer and struck out six of the 13 batters he faced, giving up just one walk and two hits to close out the win. 

The game was decided in the bottom of the fifth, when Liberty recorded their only two hits of the game, capped off by the Embry home run. In the later stages of the game, UNC was unable to produce runs to match the Flames.

This was an unexpected loss for the Tar Heels, who have stumbled to a 4-5 record in their last nine games after a 12-1 start. The game was the first time North Carolina has been shut out all season long, and the team will need to find a way to manufacture runs to turn its season back around.

The Tar Heels travel to Blacksburg this weekend as they open a series with ACC foe Virginia Tech on Friday.

@tommyfradenburg