Margaret Samuels, Chair of CHCCS Board of Education, resigns

Margaret Samuels
Margaret Samuels, chair of the school board of the Chapel Hill - Carrboro school district sits on a meeting on Friday, Feb. 7, 2019 at the Lincoln Center, 750 S. Merritt Mill Rd.

Margaret Samuels, chairperson of the Chapel-Hill Carrboro City Schools Board of Education, announced her resignation this morning.

In her letter, she cites political fights as the reason.

"These actions have been provoked because a program for children was expanded," she said. "The expansion of this program was approved through a democratic process and by a majority board vote. It is a program that I happen to believe expands opportunities for students in our community."

Although she never mentions the program by name, she is likely referring to the Mandarin dual-language magnet program at Glenwood Elementary School that has been a topic of controversy in recent months. Last week, parents and Chapel Hill residents created a website calling on the recall of Samuels and two other board members on allegations of unethical conduct.

"The charges leveled at me are baseless and without foundation" she said in her letter. "However, I have no desire to be a part of anything that takes the focus away from our students. When the behavior of adults is the leading story in any school district — we know we have a problem."

This leaves a vacancy on the school board that already has several members, including the other two mentioned on the website, up for re-election this year.

"I hope that voters will choose candidates who will give of themselves honestly, for the good of the students, as I have tried to do," Samuels said. "It is important that the board is held accountable by our entire community, and not just by its loudest voices."

Her resignation is effective immediately.

Anna Pogarcic

Anna Pogarcic is the editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying journalism and history major. 

More in Education