Wednesday December 8th

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools appoint new school board chairperson

<p>Joal Broun (right) has been appointed as the new chairperson of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education on Thursday, March 7, 2019. Mary Ann Wolf (left) has been appointed as the new vice chairperson.&nbsp;</p>
Buy Photos

Joal Broun (right) has been appointed as the new chairperson of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education on Thursday, March 7, 2019. Mary Ann Wolf (left) has been appointed as the new vice chairperson. 

Joal Broun is the new chairperson of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education.

She was appointed by the board at its meeting on Thursday. She was previously the board's vice chairperson and has been serving since filling a vacancy in 2016. Board member Mary Ann Wolf will take over Broun's duties as vice chairperson. 

The board's previous chair, Margaret Samuels, resigned on Tuesday following controversy over the district's plans for creating a Mandarin dual-language magnet program at Glenwood Elementary School. 

"These actions have been provoked because a program for children was expanded," Samuels wrote in a letter released by CHCCS. "The expansion of this program was approved through a democratic process and by a majority board vote. It is a program that I happen to believe expands opportunities for students in our community."

Following the announcement, Broun acknowledged how valuable the former chair was to the board and said her work was appreciated and that she will be missed.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Anna Pogarcic

Anna Pogarcic is the editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying journalism and history major. 

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021