The OC Voice is a portion of the OC Report newsletter where local residents may have a platform to talk about local issues they care about.

Jock Lauterer is a professor in the UNC School of Media and Journalism and was a photographer for The Daily Tar Heel in the 1960s. He wants to reflect on his history with the DTH and its importance within the UNC and Chapel Hill communities.

Dear editor, I bet The Daily Tar Heel doesn’t get many love letters — so let’s just call this a birthday salute from an old alum. 

One hundred and twenty-six. 126. That’s a mighty number, any way you lay it out — one that carries clout and authenticity. It’s also a number that belies many late nights. Make that, “all-nighters.”

From my own publishing experience, I have derived Uncle Jock’s Rule of Start-Ups: “Any fool can start a newspaper; the genius lies in keepin’ on keepin’ on.”

So, my visual salutation comes in the form of this photography which I conceived and arranged back in 1967 to commemorate another distant DTH anniversary, paying homage also to a famous staff photograph from 1895, posed thus.

The student journalists from 1967 are, front row, seated on floor, left to right: Steve Knowlton and Ernest Robl; second row at desk, left to right, Wayne Hurder, Scott Goodfellow, Sandy Treadwell, Joe Sanders and Don Campbell; back row standing, left to right, Jeff MacNelly, John Askew, Bruce Strauch and Don Walton.

Long live the DTH!

If you live in Orange County and want to make your voice heard on something you care about locally, email city@dailytarheel.com.