Atlanta rapper 6LACK will perform at the 2019 spring Jubilee

Jubilee Reveal 2019
The Carolina Union Activities Board encouraged students to guess the 2019 Jubilee performer before the reveal on Friday.

Atlanta rapper 6LACK will perform at the 2019 spring Jubilee concert, the Carolina Union Activities Board announced Friday. The concert will be on April 13. 

6LACK (pronounced “Black”) recently gained recognition in 2018 with his second album, “East Atlanta Love Letter,” which got to the No. 1 spot on Billboard’s Top R&B Albums. 6LACK’s debut album, “FREE 6LACK,” was released in 2016.

CUAB counted down to the reveal with a Spotify playlist featuring artists such as Jesse McCartney and T-Pain. Entertainment Co-Chairperson T.J. Wallace said the Jubilee committee debated about artists within the budget and used an agent to decide who this year’s performer would be. 

“I am personally really excited for this year’s performer because recently we’ve had artists who maybe haven’t released songs in a while, and with this artist being Grammy-nominated and also releasing an album in the past year, I feel like students will really enjoy seeing an artist they hear on the radio,” Wallace said. 

Last year’s performer was rapper Waka Flocka Flame. Entertainment Co-Chairperson Sydney Chapman said the committee chose the performer based on a survey sent out earlier in the year to gauge student interest. 

“We did the genre survey and we decided we were going to pick an artist who is in that top three, which is hip-hop, R&B and pop, and then we were looking at the artists we had," Chapman said. "And a lot of the comments we received were that people wanted a new up-and-coming artist and something different.” 

Chapman said CUAB is also adding a day festival and activities before the concert to give students a festival feel with mini performances.  The festival will take place from 12 to 5 p.m. at Hooker Fields and will include activities such as soccer and corn hole.  

UNC student Tyla Gomez said she is excited about the Jubilee artist and will do her best to make it to the concert. 

“I love 6LACK and he’s so fun and awesome and I wish I could actually meet him,” Gomez said.