Kamikazi breaks it down at biannual Spring Workshop

Kamikazi dance workshop
UNC students dace during Kamikazi's dance workshop on Sunday, March 3, 2019 in the Student Union.

This past Sunday, UNC Kamikazi, a co-ed hip-hop dance team, hosted a three-hour workshop in the Underground of the Carolina Union. 

The team invited two local dance instructors, Eunique Browder and Anushri Adhia, to teach at the workshop. Both instructors danced in college: Adhia is a former member of Kamikazi, while Browder performed with UNC-Wilmington’s Physical Graffeeti for four years. 

“It’s to help our team members grow by bringing in teachers from the area or other teams,” said co-director Laura Killian. “It’s also to introduce dance to the community because anyone can come to it. It’s just a good way to spread dance.” 

Killian said that while members of Kamikazi are required to attend, the biannual event has attracted at least 50 people in past semesters.

“It provides a safe space for people to express themselves and to grow at their own pace and gives people the opportunity to meet other dance community members and get connected,” said design chair Sophie Swift.

When deciding which instructors to invite, members of Kamikazi try to mix it up with each workshop.

“We pitch ideas of people who we know have a lot of experience with teaching,” Killian said. “We also sometimes try to think of people who haven’t taught recently in the area, because there are other workshops that are held pretty much every weekend. So we’ll think, ‘OK, who hasn’t taught in a while or who is someone who brings something different.’ Just that way to keep up the interest of people wanting to come to the workshop.”

After registration and warm ups, each instructor held a 75-minute lesson. Participants were required to pay $7 per class or $12 for both classes.

Each session involves a lot of repetition, said Makaela Johnson, a member of Kamikazi. 

“Most of the time it consists of us learning the dance, and toward the end we just practice it,” Johnson said. “We split into groups and stuff to have more space on the floor.” 

Swift talked about how much she enjoyed attending dance workshops.

“You definitely feel like you grow as a dancer after taking workshops,” Swift said. “It just feels good to learn from a new person and gain experience from community members.”

Since its inception in 1996, Kamikazi has performed all across the country. This semester, Kamikazi traveled to Virginia for a weekend show.

“We’ve done a lot of different showcases at different colleges,” Swift said. “We went to James Madison University for a big performance. We’ve just done little things on campus as well.”

In addition to its Spring Workshop, Kamikazi plans to host a showcase on March 31, which will be held in the Great Hall. Swift said the showcase will feature another UNC hip-hop dance group, Moonlight, along with other groups.