Letter to the Editor: Weeknight parking charges reek of ableism

To the editor,

I am an undergraduate senior disability activist at UNC. After witnessing the proposed legislation to introduce weeknight parking fees, I am appalled at the ableism and apparent disdain for disabled people on campus. Disabled faculty, staff and students are made to prove and pay for UNC Disability Permits in addition to obtaining a disability placard. The state of North Carolina grants one for a fee of $5.00 a placard. UNC-CH demands the purchase of a disability permit parking space, but at a cost detrimental to disabled students with financial and medical obligations beyond able-bodied, healthy students. The Towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro do not charge disabled people to pay for parking during weekdays and weeknights. Accessible parking at UNC is easier to find after the weekday is over, thus discouraging many students who cannot afford to pay for disability parking, or refused a disability spot, to attend campus events. Making disabled workers and students pay for disability parking and weeknight parking adds additional costs that burden disabled people, and sends the message that disabled people are burdens, that disabilities deserve to be fined and that disabled people do not belong on campus. I encourage you to stand with disabled faculty, staff and students by rejecting this proposal. There are other ways of funding that do not harm low-income workers and disabled people.

In solidarity,

Erika Christiana

English and Sociology

Class of 2020