No. 6 North Carolina men's tennis takes down Duke, 4-1, in ACC season opener

tennis duke Brian Cernoch

First-year Brian Cernoch, undeclared major, prepares to hit the tennis ball as he plays for the UNC men's tennis team against Duke on Thursday, Feb. 28, 2019 at the Cone-Kenfield Center. UNC won 4-1. Cernoch won his singles match.

In its ACC season opener, the No. 6 North Carolina men’s tennis team won the battle of the blues with a 4-1 victory over Duke on Thursday afternoon. 

Thursday afternoon started with three neck-and-neck runs of doubles matches. Sophomore Mac Kiger and junior Simon Soendergaard finished first on Court Two with a hard-fought victory over Blue Devils Catalin Mateas and Vincent Lin, winning, 7-5.

“I thought Mac and I started off a little slow in the doubles,” Soendergaard said. “Then, we started to raise our level as the match went on, and then, we got the win in the end.” 

Senior Blaine Boyden and junior William Blumberg also won a close match, securing the doubles point for the Tar Heels with a finish of 6-4.

In singles, North Carolina was able to win three of the four finished matches, and secure the team win. Soendergaard carried his doubles success into a straight set, 6-1, 6-2 victory over Duke’s Jason Lapidus. 

“In my singles, I thought I played pretty steady and tried to stay solid," Soendergaard said. "I tried to work for every point so (I’m) glad that it worked out in my favor.” 

On Court Four, Boyden secured North Carolina's second singles win with a score of 6-4, 6-2. 

In Duke's only win, Spencer Furman took down junior Josh Peck by a 6-3, 6-3 score. But the Tar Heels came back in a hard-fought match won by first-year Brian Cernoch with a 7-6 (3), 6-3 win, the last point needed to take the team’s ACC opener over the Blue Devils.

Soendergaard was a force for UNC in both singles and doubles. He won his doubles matchup with Kiger, 7-5, and dominated his singles matchup, 6-1, 6-2. Boyden also won on both sides, following a 6-4 doubles victory with a 6-4, 6-2 straight-set singles win. 

Cernoch claimed the deciding moment in Thursday’s matchup, with a 7-6 (3), 6-3 win over Mateas. 

On the sixth shot of the final point, Cernoch hit a backhand lob past Mateas, catching him completely off-guard. Cernoch clenched his fists, looking to his teammates as they all yelled in celebration.

This is the second time UNC has played Duke this season. The first time they played was on Jan. 26, with a 4-1 win over Duke that sent them to the ITA National Team Indoor Championships. This time around, North Carolina started its ACC season off with a win over the Blue Devils.

The Tar Heels will head to Blacksburg, Va., to compete against Virginia Tech this Saturday at 1 p.m.

@delaney_dodge