UNC women's basketball loses to Duke, 62-44, falls to eighth seed in ACC Tournament

Women's Basketball Georgia Tech Paris Kea
Guard Paris Kea (22) drives against Georgia Tech in Carmichael Arena on Thursday, Jan. 31, 2019. UNC won 91-90.

DURHAM — The North Carolina women’s basketball team (17-13, 8-8 ACC) fell, 62-44, to Duke (14-14, 6-10) on Sunday afternoon. With the loss, UNC will be the eighth seed in next week's ACC Tournament. 

The Tar Heels spent a majority of the game playing from behind. They held the lead for just over two minutes, while Duke dominated the other 35:21 and a tie for a little over a minute. 

The Blue Devils got on the board quickly after two free throws due to a personal foul by junior Taylor Koenen. After a missed layup by redshirt senior Paris Kea, Duke found their way onto the board again, setting the tone for the rest of the afternoon. Sophomore Leah Church led the offensive effort for UNC, making the team’s only two 3-pointers of the first quarter. 

UNC was behind, 16-10, going into the second period. Duke’s Leaonna Odom fired off two quick jumpers, pushing their lead to 20-10. Due to a series of miscommunications and the inability to contain Odom, UNC only made four baskets in the second quarter, two of which were 3-pointers by Church as well as one 3-pointer by Kea. Heading into halftime, Duke held a 35-21 lead. 

Duke came out firing in the second half with Jade Williams making two quick layups. While the Blue Devils scored 17 in the third period, the Tar Heels followed closely with 16. Duke broke through in the fourth quarter, continuing to clog the paint and disrupt UNC’s zone. UNC played strong defense, limiting Duke to 10 points, but only scored seven points. Kea scored five of those points. 

With two minutes left, a scuffle broke out between Church and Duke’s Williams over a rebound. A comment from the Blue Devil led sophomore center Janelle Bailey to charge a Duke player, eventually being restrained by referees. She was ejected from the game. 

Duke outrebounded UNC, 53-34, and brought in 17 offensive boards. Height played a big factor in the loss, primarily disrupting UNC’s zone and limiting its ability to move in the paint. UNC shot 18 percent in the paint, only making eight points, while Duke was at 58 percent with 36 points. Three different Blue Devils finished the day with a double-double while UNC had none. The last time that Duke had three players with a double-double was in Jan. 2015. 

For the Tar Heels, Church had a season-high point total of 12 after shooting 4-11 on 3-pointers and 4-12 on total field goals. Kea is now in the 20th spot in the UNC all-time scoring list after a 16-point performance at Duke on Sunday afternoon. 

However, Duke's Odom dominated the Senior Day game, proving to be nearly impossible to stop. The junior scored a total of 22 points, the most for either team. 

The Tar Heels started making a comeback in the fourth quarter, cutting the deficit to nine. However, in the last four minutes, Duke went on a 9-0 run to seal its victory. 

This is the final regular season game before the team heads into the ACC Tournament. This season is the program’s best performance since the 2014-2015 season, finishing for the first time with a winning record. 

UNC will play No. 9 seed Georgia Tech on Thursday at 2 p.m. in the first round of the ACC Tournament in the Greensboro Coliseum. 

@mwc13_3