Big second inning powers Georgia Tech softball past North Carolina, 13-5

UNCvsMichigan_Softball_20190217_Clark-5.jpg
A routine infield hit received by First base Kiersten Licea(1) to get runner Natalia Rodriguez(21) out to end the game. North Carolina defeated Michigan 4-2 Sunday, February 17th, 2019 at Anderson Softball Stadium in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

In the second game of an ACC series, the North Carolina softball team (16-11, 6-2 ACC) was easily defeated by Georgia Tech (21-12, 4-4 ACC) on Saturday, losing, 13-5.

With a Friday win under its belt, UNC was hoping to carry that momentum into the weekend. But when Georgia Tech jumped on UNC early Saturday, it became clear that it was not North Carolina’s day.

UNC got on the board first when senior Kiani Ramsey reached first base with a bunt in the first inning. Senior Berlynne Delamora was then hit by a pitch, allowing Ramsey to advance to second. Ramsey then scored on a single by sophomore Megan Dray. 

Georgia Tech wasted no time answering. The first batter of the second inning homered to right field, bringing the score to 1-1. Two Yellow Jackets each reached on a fielder’s choice as the Tar Heels started to lose their footing in the field. Georgia Tech crushed another homerun, driving in three more runs. The Yellow Jackets finished out the inning by ripping a double to right field and scoring again. The Tar Heels entered the bottom of the second inning down 5-1.

In the top of the fourth, UNC first-year pitcher Hannah George walked in a run with bases loaded, bringing the score to 6-1 for the Yellow Jackets.  

The Yellow Jackets stayed hot at the plate, hitting a double to start the fifth inning, followed by a two-run homer to center field. GT added another run with a double, making the score 9-1 in the middle of the fifth.

UNC tried to keep fighting. Senior Leah Murray singled and advanced to third on a double from Ramsey in the bottom of the fifth. Redshirt senior Kristina Burkhardt tripled, driving in Ramsey and Murray. Delamora then reached on a fielding error and advanced to second. Burkhardt scored, making the score 9-4 for the Yellow Jackets.

Georgia Tech topped off its dominating performance with four more runs in the top of the seventh, including a two-run homer. The final score of the game was 13-5 in favor of the Yellow Jackets.

Despite the loss, the UNC softball team had some noteworthy plays. Ramsey was for 3-3 at the plate, hitting two singles and a double.  Burkhardt’s triple gave North Carolina two more runs.

Georgia Tech’s explosive second inning left UNC struggling to catch up for the rest of the game.  

The  Tar Heels were unable to build on Friday’s win. After splitting two games Friday and Saturday, the ACC series against Georgia Tech depends on the third game. UNC will try to take the rubber match on Sunday.

UNC plays Georgia Tech one last time this weekend on Sunday, March 24th at 1 p.m. at Anderson Stadium in Chapel Hill to wrap up the series.

@_SamHopper