Sports weekend preview: 10 teams in action means a busy weekend for UNC athletics

Baseball VCU
VCU Junior Alex Taylor slides into score at home plate during VCU's 11-8 win over UNC on Wednesday, Feb. 27, 2019.

It's shaping up to be another busy weekend for UNC athletics, with 10 different Tar Heel teams in action including No. 5 men's basketball and the newly crowned No. 1 women's tennis team. Read below for a look at what's on the docket.

Basketball 

On Saturday at 6 p.m., the No. 5 men's basketball team travels to Clemson for its 16th ACC game before a matchup at Boston College and a rematch with Duke. The Tar Heels will seek their 14th conference win to keep pace atop the conference standings with Virginia and remain in contention for a top seed in the NCAA Tournament.

On Sunday at noon, the women's basketball team will travel to Duke for its last regular season game. The Tar Heels were outshot in a decisive second quarter in the teams' first matchup of the year, and will seek redemption this time around.

Baseball

After suffering their first loss of the season to VCU on Wednesday, the Tar Heels will look to rebound in a three-game series against UMass Lowell this weekend. Games will be played at 3 p.m. on Friday, 2 p.m. on Saturday and 1 p.m. on Sunday.

Lacrosse

The men’s lacrosse team will look to move to 4-1 on the season when it faces off against Denver at 10 a.m. on Saturday. After a close 11-10 loss to Johns Hopkins last Saturday, the Tar Heels will try to get back on a winning track.

As for women’s lacrosse, the team is coming off a 13-12 overtime loss at Maryland, and will now return home for a battle with Northwestern at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Tennis

The women's tennis team will defend home court — and its new No. 1 ranking — twice this weekend. First, the Tar Heels will face Notre Dame at 3 p.m. on Friday. Then, on Sunday at 1 p.m., UNC plays Louisville, looking to keep their perfect conference record early in the year.

Meanwhile, the men’s tennis team travels to Blacksburg this weekend for a date at Virginia Tech at 1 p.m. on Saturday, looking for a win in the team's second ACC match-up.

Softball

Coming off of a 7-0 loss to George Washington Thursday, the Tar Heels will need to rebound quickly as they continue the Carolina Classic with three more games this weekend. UNC, sitting at 6-8 on the season, will face Fairfield at 6 p.m. on Friday, then Florida Atlantic at 3:30 p.m. and Maryland at 6 p.m. on Saturday.

Swim/Dive

On Saturday, the men's swimming and diving team will wrap up the four-day ACC Championships in Greensboro. Last week, the women's team finished seventh in the conference championships, and the men will seek a strong performance before the NCAA Championships begin.

Gymnastics

After back-to-back conference losses to N.C. State and New Hampshire, the Tar Heels will travel to non-conference opponent William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia, at 3 p.m. on Saturday.

@rwilcox_

More in Sports

More in Baseball

More in Gymnastics

More in Softball