UNC baseball swept in ACC series for first time since 2015

Ike Freeman UMass Lowell
UNC second baseman junior Ike Freeman (8) throws the ball to first base against UMass Lowell on Sunday, March 3, 2019 at Boshamer Stadium.

The No. 4 North Carolina (12-4, 0-3 ACC) baseball team faced its toughest challenge of the season as Clemson (12-3, 3-0 ACC) completed the series sweep against the Tar Heels on Sunday afternoon. 

Game 1

The Tar Heels took an early lead with a solo home run by junior Ike Freeman to left field. From then on, it was a tight game with nobody scoring again until both UNC and Clemson each scored a run in the seventh inning.

Heading into the bottom of the ninth up 2-1, the Tar Heels were just three outs away from clinching the game. Clemson outfielder Michael Green singled off of a pitch by sophomore Joey Lancelotti in the first at bat. Another batter walked, leaving two runners on base with only one out for the Tigers.

Sophomore Kier Meredith was able to pick up a base hit and Green scored due to a UNC fielding error on the play. With the next batter up, the Tar Heels could only watch as Lancelotti was called for a balk and the Tigers trotted home for the win.

Game 2

The UNC pitching staff struggled in the second game of its doubleheader as they it had in an earlier doubleheader against UMass Lowell earlier in the month.

By the end of the fifth inning, North Carolina was down, 16-2. The Tigers finished the game with three batters collecting four hits and scoring against five different UNC pitchers.

North Carolina’s offense didn’t improve much from the morning either as the Tar Heels went on to lose, 17-3.

Game 3

Once again, Clemson was able to step up when it mattered most.

The Tar Heels went into the bottom of the ninth with a late lead similar to the first game of the series. The first two at-bats for Clemson resulted in a strikeout and a fly ball caught in the infield, respectively.

Sophomore Sam Hall, a North Carolina native, stepped up to the plate and was able to hit a double to left center with the count at 3-1. Immediately after that, junior Logan Davidson hit a walk-off home run to secure the win and the sweep for the Tigers.

Freeman and junior Dylan Harris were the only UNC players to get a hit in all three games of the series. The two stars are co-leaders of the team in hits at 19 and are both batting at least .315 for the season.

Outside of the second game, both North Carolina and Clemson put on solid performances for all nine innings of every game. With their backs against the wall, the Tigers were just more prepared to handle the mounting pressure late in the game. 

This weekend marks the first time UNC has been swept in a three-game series by an opponent since Wake Forest did so in April of 2016. That year was also the last season in which the Tar Heels had a losing record in the ACC.

That being said, North Carolina has a much more talented and experienced roster this year, but this sweep is an anomaly to keep an eye on if there are more struggles later on in the season, especially with the 17-4 loss in the second game.

North Carolina returns to Chapel Hill looking to return to their previously strong form against Gardner-Webb on Tuesday at 3 p.m.